We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Hi everyone!

I have 2 days of Wine tasting. Day 1 will be in the Mcminville, Carlton area. Day two will be in Dayton, Dundee, Newberg area (en route to Seattle)

I have a list for day two that i will post, but can you guys help me on Day 1 please? From TA i have the following, we have a mix of tastes, full bodied reds, semi sweet, white. Also want to stop at the Jam stop!

Panther Creek.

Eyrie Vineyards

Carlton Cellars

Cana's Feast Winery,

Anne Amie Vineyards

Amity Vineyards (a bit out of the way)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

There are enough wineries and tasting rooms in the small town of Carlton that you could spend a couple days there alone. But for full-bodied reds, you'd particularly want to stop at Cana's Feast, and I'd suggest Seven of Hearts (Luminous Hills) and Tyrus Evan. The others on your list produce mostly pinot noir - more of a finesse red than full-bodied.

Are you planning any of the Ribbon Ridge wineries: Trisaetum, Bergstrom, ArborBrook, Brick House (by appointment), or maybe Penner Ash? If not on day 2, I'd put most of those ahead of the list you've got for day 1. Trisaetum, in particular, produces some nice rieslings to please the "semi sweet" palates.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

We loved Scott Paul in Carlton, the Winemaker's Studio is also very which is a nice place to taste several different wines at one place. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

thanks thrumylens, i do have Bergstrom on my list for day 2. I'm assuming the others u mention are aroudn the same area? dayton/dundee?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Happy to help! Yes, the others I mentioned are near Bergstrom, but they're located NW of Newberg, whereas Dundee and Dayton are SW. And there's a big hill between. What else is on your day 2 list? If it's the Dundee - Dayton area, I'd expect places like Four Graces, Argyle, Winderlea, Archery Summit, De Ponte, Domaine Drouhin, Stoller.... maybe the Zerba tasting room for full-bodied reds?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

By all means do NOT miss Eyrie. The late David Lett was THE pioneer of Oregon's wine industry (affectionately known as "Papa Pinot"), and his son is carrying on the tradition. Eyrie's wines are more Burgundian in style, subtle aromas and flavors that make accompanying food sing.

The Ribbon Ridge wineries -- notably Beaux Freres, Brick House, Trisaetum and Bergstrom are in the first tier of great producers. Styring, a small mom-n-pop operation is also quite good, but not nearly as well-known.

Cana's Feast does a great job with Italian varietals in addiition to the usual Oregon favorites, although founder Gino Cuneo has left the company and is now making wine in Washington under the Tre Nova label.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Computer problems prevented me from addiing that in addition to great pinot noir, Eyrie's pinot gris and chardonnays are among Oregon's best. :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Syrah, Scott paul is only open on Saturdays ! bummer

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

OK TA experts! Here is our run down for day 1. We are staying at the Hotel Oregon so the order will be as follows. Anyone I may have missed in the Mcminville-Calrton area only? Also an recommendations for lunch/early dinner in the Carlton area or on way back to Mcminville?

thanks!

Panther Creek.

Eyrie Vineyards

Tyrus Evan

Cana's Feast Winery,

Anne Amie Vineyards

Carlton Cellars - removed as I didn't see wine tasting dates/hours on website?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

Carlton is only a 10-minute drive from McMinnville. There is a nice little French restaurant there (name escapes me at the moment), but you might as well have dinner in Mac. Nick's Italian Cafe, next door to the hotel, is a longtime fixture in the area's wine-food community. Thistle, across the street on Evans is also an excellent dinner choice -- it was the Oregonian's (Portland's major newspaper) Restaurant of the Year last year. Bistro Maison and LaRambla are also just a short stroll away from your hotel.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Tasting in McMinville, Carlton Area

zerba tasting room for sure..we go every year and always stop there. they know their wines, and do a great tasting. love their wines...very hearty, and that is what we liked. then there is the red hill market , for a short bite, right around the corner.