We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trillium Lake and Timberline

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trillium Lake and Timberline

Two of my moderately healthy 50-60s year old relatives are visiting us in the middle of march.

Is it possible to see Trillium Lake this time of year without snowshoeing or skiing? We might just stop off on our way to Timberline Lodge to get a photo op of the mountain behind the lake.

Also, my relatives have never skied before but I thought I might ask them if they want to try cross country skiing. What's the best place to crosscountry ski (somewhere easy and with fantastic views) and is there a good place to pick up rental equipment?

I remember the views from the top of the mountain at Timberline ski resort while downhill skiing to be spectacular and I'd like my relatives to experience that. I'm sure though that downhill skiing is too scary for them. Is there any other way I can let them experience that mountain view? I though about taking them snoeshoeing at Timberline (it'd have to be an easy trail though as they are seniors). Can we get fantastic views along one of the easy trails?

Edited: 23 February 2013, 18:06
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

Hmm, curious why you want a winterlike adventure for them. The Gorge or the Coast would be fine, though you likely will have rain. Silver Creek Falls also good

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

There will likely still be a lot of snow. Go to Sandy, stop in Otto's for either snowshoes or skis and get advice from them in locations and conditions.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

There will be too much snow on the road to Trillium Lake for you to drive down there. You can snow shoe down there but it is a hike to get back up.

If they are interested in cross country skiing, you could go to White River and start there. It is fairly easy but gets very crowded.

You could just as easily have days of sunshine. As you know, we have had a mild winter with lots of beautiful sunny days!

If they have no interest in skiing, just take them to Timberline and sit in the lodge and enjoy the view over some hot chocolate.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

We take beginner snowshoers to Trillium and so far everyone has loved it. There are usually quite a few cross country skiers there too.

White River is a great place for snowshoeing, but no showstopping views of the mountain. There are two areas here though, White River East and White River West. West has lots more people, but both are really nice, IMO.

You might think about Lost Lake. There are numerous trails around there, but the little train around the lake is super easy and has a fantastic view of Mt Hood. You would want to call ahead and see what they have for snow, but I would bet boots alone would be ample.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

I'd recomend Teacup Lake Nordic area for begining skiiers... its well groomed and has various trails and some nice views of Hood. I find Trillium can be difficult for 'beginers' like me, especially if conditions are icy or not perfect.... so snow conditions are something to consider. I think Teacup gets more maintenance of trails, etc. I'd also recommend Ottos...

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

Thanks a lot guys. It'll probably be either Teacup or Lost Lake depending on if we ski or snow shoe. Decided view was less important than how easy the trail is.

Phirl, they're actually in town 3 days so we'll take them hiking in the gorge area/crown point another day.

7. Re: Trillium Lake and Timberline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 06:15