We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip to Portland Area

Detroit Lakes...
3 posts
Save Topic
Family Trip to Portland Area

We will be spending Easter week 2013 in the Portland area. We will have 5 full days to play. We'd like to ski Mt. Hood one day and see Multnomah Falls, the coast and Portland. We'd appreciate your input on a ski resort for beginners (Timberline vs. Meadows vs Cooper Spur?), places to stay, things to see and do in our 5 days. Also are there any special things to do on Easter in Portland? We have a 6th grade boy and 3rd grade girl. Thank you!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

Skiing, the gorge, and the coast will each take up a full day. So that only leaves you two days in Portland. For kid friendly activities on those days I would check out OMSI and the Zoo. When we travel with our kids we prefer vacation rentals over staying in a hotel. That may be something you want to consider, if you do I would look for something in inner southeast which is pretty close to OMSI and also gives you easy access to the freeways for your day trip destinations.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

A day trip to Seaside would be fun for your family! www.seasideor.com. :).

Edited: 11 March 2013, 14:56
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

Definitely not Timberline for a beginner skier. Go to either Ski Bowl or Meadows. Ski Bowl will be cheaper.

OMSI and the zoo would be my picks for kids that age.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

I would think they would love playing in the Gorge and getting their feet wet in the waterfalls. Many are street close.

MRS O

Detroit Lakes...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

Thank you so much, everyone, for your ideas! We're looking forward to our trip!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

I think they will love watching the kite boarders and wind surfers if there are any in the Hood River area of the CRGSNA.

If they aren't out yet, be sure to try and get back here when you all can take lessons! They are beautiful.

MrsO

Edited: 21 March 2013, 02:41
USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

For Easter, this is a bit of a drive - outside Salem. The kids would love it, though. http://www.lighthousefarmsanctuary.org/

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

I looked at the site, www.nwhiker.com and checked the webcam for Mt Hood Meadows and it read something like...."conditions are ...21 degrees..a wall of snow coming sideways and swirling which should make for excellent jumps and conditions for tomorrows skiers."

Only at a ski resort would that be good... LOL

MrsO

9. Re: Family Trip to Portland Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:16