We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

The morning of Tuesday, April 16th, My hubby and I, along with our 26 year old son (who lives in Seattle) will be driving from Seattle to Portland and spending the night in the Hospitality Inn at 10155 SW Capitol Hwy in Portland.

We're staying in Portland so we will have more time that day to take in the beauty of the mountains and not have to drive home the same day. We're taking a coastal route for our return to Seattle the next day.

Basically, we just needed a place for the night in Portland and would love some suggestions for a Micro Brew place near the Hospitality Inn.

We'll have a car obviously, but we don't mind walking to get a good beer and food after our long day of taking in the beauty of nature along our drive.

Thanks everyone!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Hi:

As much as I know Portland's craft beer scene (breweries & pubs), I couldn't think of *anything* worth walking to in the area where you're staying. I even looked on the website beermapping.com ( beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php… ) and only Barbur World Foods (an international grocery) shows up within a reasonable walk. That's not to say there aren't a few small restaurants or chains around there that serve some local craft beer... but if you're seeking a better representation then someone may have to drive (between the 3 of you, can one be a designated driver?)

Closest variety of options in Multnomah Village (go north on Capitol Highway about a mile). There are a few good local restaurants (ate recently at O'Connor's, which has been around since the 1930's - it's quaint & food is pretty good) and Lucky Labrador Public House has decent beers & pizzas. My choice, however, may be new brewery Sasquatch Brewing Co. (6440 SW Capitol Hwy - http://sasquatchbrewery.com/ ); it's just a little further northeast of Multnomah Village area..

If you decide, however, to venture a few miles from your hotel, back into downtown and inner NE/SE neighborhoods you'll greatly expand your food and beer options. Plenty of recommendations at the ready, just reply back if you are interested in them...

Cheers,

Brian

Edited: 26 March 2013, 15:15
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Yeah, besides those Brian mentioned, the only other brewpub I know of in that area is Old Market Pub & Brewery in Garden Home, a couple miles from Multnomah Village. It's always busy when I drive by, but I haven't stopped in for years.

Curious about your "coastal route" to Seattle. There isn't much coastal scenery along US 101 from Cannon Beach, OR north. Cape Disappointment State Park would be a worthwhile detour, but unless you're planning a long day around the Olympic Peninsula, you might be otherwise ummm.... disappointed. ;-)

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

@msubulldog...Thanks for your responses. We're looking for all options, so I'd love to hear more!

@thrumylens....My son is an outdoor guide and has some plan for us, so I don't know what "coastal route" he has in mind. If I remember, upon our return to Michigan, I'll post on this forum and let you know what we did.

Thanks for your suggestion for the pub and brew. I will look into it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

My favorite craft brewpubs for quality food AND quality beer are:

- Deschutes Brewery (210 NW 11th, NW Portland, Pearl District) - great selection of beer and full menu, can be a little pricy (some happy hour bargains, tho), also can be crowded but a Tuesday may not be *too* bad. www.deschutesbrewery.com/locations/portland

- Hair of the Dog (61 SE Yamhill - industrial SE spot, just off I-5 freeway). Beers are often phenomenal (Adam, Fred, Blue Dot, Doggie Claws, barrel-aged goodies) but many are on the stronger side. Food here is very good, but if you want dinner elsewhere nearby, try Boke Bowl, Bunk Bar (terrific sandwiches, perhaps a little 'young'/loud), Olympic Provisions (meat-centric) or clarklewis (on the fancy side) http://www.hairofthedog.com/ or http://bokebowl.com/ or http://bunkbar.com/ or www.olympicprovisions.com/southeast/about-us/ or http://www.clarklewispdx.com/

- Burnside Brewing (701 E Burnside - inner Eastside) indoor/outdoor seating, very casual. LOVE the food here 'Cohiba' is awesome (duck confit wrap) in particular. http://www.burnsidebrewco.com/

- Breakside Brewery (820 NE Dekum, furthest location from the hotel - but still only a 12-15 min drive) My 'local' brewpub. Terrific special nightly (pasta, fish, roasts, you never know). Huge burgers, delicious cubano sandwich, always an interesting array of beers - they are very creative with styles & ingredients used. http://www.breakside.com/

Cheers & enjoy!

Brian

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Hey Brian.........Are we in a "bad" area by staying at the Hospitality Inn?

I love your suggestions!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

A "bad" area? Not safety-wise, nor 'accessible to freeway'-wise... but you're not as close to much within walking distance. If you got a good rate on your hotel for the one night, then stay there... otherwise you could shop around for a more centrally-located hotel if walking/dining/imbibing are in your plans. Mid-April weeknights *should* be pretty reasonably priced (compared to mid-summer 'high season' rates). You might take a look at Portland Perks on the travelportland.com website (often they include free overnight parking and/or breakfast) - travelportland.com/deals/portland-perks-hote…

B

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Brian.......How about the Quality Inn at the Downtown Convention Center? I found a decent price. Would this be more centrally located?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

I think the Quality Inn for a night is just fine. I'm not a big fan of the neighborhood but there are a couple of breweries nearby, Upright and Burnside. Both are good. I have a map on my blog with all of Portland's breweries which you may find helpful. www.portlandtraveltips.com/breweries-map/. All of Brian's suggestions for brewpubs are good. Another thing you may want to consider is checking out a bar that specializes in craft beer such as Apex (warning cash only) or the Green Dragon. There you could sample all sorts of craft beers from various breweries and not be confined to the beers from just one brewer.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Within a short walk of Quality Inn is Spirit of '77. Kind of upscale for a sports-themed bar, pretty good food and small but nice list of local draft beer (from places like Double Mountain, GoodLife, Gigantic, Fearless, Elysian...). Fun envirnoment, too. Map (includes walking further to Burnside): http://goo.gl/maps/FPKHq

Also... as much as I love Upright Brewing that Scott recommends, they only open Fri/Sat/Sun and on Blazers Home game nights... unfortunately Blazers are on the road on 4/16. But look for their beer on draft somewhere, it's delicious!

B

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a Micro Brew on a Tuesday Night in Portland

Update on my original post.........Thanks to a few PM's with msubulldog, I have cancelled my reservation at the Hospitality Inn and made another one at the Quality Inn Downtown Convention. Bulldog gave me a link to Portland Perks, and thanks to him, I was able to find a similar hotel for the same price,(free parking a continental breakfast too) ..........and it's now closer to the "action".

Thanks to everyone on TA!