We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hour layover in PDX

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
asia
Level Contributor
248 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
12 hour layover in PDX

Hi!

We have a 12 hour layover in PDX starting at 8:45AM. I've read a few suggestions on the forum : "OMSI, Powell's Book Store, Portland Art Museum, the food cart pods, Timbers soccer, Oregon zoo, rose gardens in Washington Park..." I'm leaning on exploring the Pearl District / Powell's Book Store or do OMSI (not really sure if we will have enough energy for this though). We will be coming from a 10 hour flight from Narita so I don't really know how wasted we will be after our flight and will probably take it as it goes when we arrive. Any other suggestions on what we should do on our layover? I don't know if we can do much walking so any suggestions where we can hang out for coffee or a few drinks in Pearl District? Will we find food cart pods within walking distance from the Powell's Book Store?

Many thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

You might want to check online for Tri-met map and schedule to help you plan how to get around. and learn the cost.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

You could take the MAX in and then walk over to the Pearl for coffee and sight seeing. My bet is that you will be very, very tired from the travel. Where are you off to next?

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

what are your interests?? we never thought that we would spend sooo much time at powells, then shopping, then eatting and we were there for 3 days..more this time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

I would say skip OMSI and stick to exploring the pearl and being outside as much as possible. Jet lag's enemy is sunshine and fresh air. Take a walk around waterfront park.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

asia
Level Contributor
248 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

Thank you all for your replies.

Good suggestion, Scott. Skip OMSI it is.

Mamababoo, yes that's for sure! We are off to San Diego for a convention. We will try our best to hold off on sleeping as much as possible on that layover (8:45am - 8:35pm) so we can adjust our body clocks. If not, option 2 will probably be to check in at a hotel near the airport and sleep.

Charley, we are leaning on a little sightseeing with a little shopping for this. We love museums but I think Scott is right and I don't think we will be able to enjoy our trip to OMSI after a 10 hour flight.

I'm thinking about making Powell's City of Books our point of interest. From the airport, get the 1-day $5 pass, board the MAX and get off at Galleria/SW 10th Ave MAX Station and walk to Powell's (google maps). Do some exploring from there.

Any recommendations on what we can see that will not be too far away from Powell's? Interested in the food pods. Will we be able to walk it from Powell's?

Thanks!!

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

Powells is not really near anything. Not close to food carts either.

asia
Level Contributor
248 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

ooops. Are there some shops or coffee shops around? Would there be a better place to start off to explore the Pearl then end at Powell's or the other way around?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

Food carts are up by the Galleria where you will be getting off of the train. Powells is kind of between the Pearl and the Galleria area. It will make for alot of walking!!!!

Edited: 09 April 2013, 14:53
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

I completely disagree with Reply #6, that Powell's 'is not really close to anything'. Powell's is *only* a short 4-block walk from Galleria/10th MAX stop to the store; furthermore, there is a HUGE pod of food carts (dozens!) on NW 10th @ Alder (the block north of Galleria!). Portland's city block sizes are very small (200'x200' typically), so 4 blocks of walking should take 5 minutes or so. Don't change your plans based on this one reply...

One question I have is: will you be towing any luggage? I don't believe PDX has options for storing short-term since 9/11 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)... If you have small bags, you may not mind hauling them around...otherwise you may want to ask at a hotel if they'll hold your bags for a 1/2 day.

Cheers,

Brian

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 hour layover in PDX

I too was wondering about luggage.

Ditz_8, perhaps a river cruise might interest you? Or maybe a small coach sightseeing tour? City trolley tour? You could sit back and enjoy the sights without walking :-)