We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

My wife and I are considering visiting the area July 3 or 4th to 13th. We are primary interested in hiking every day and I have initially seen that there are 4 areas: the coast, Mt Hood region, Columbia Gorge, and the Portland vicinity. We also enjoy wine tasting and going to interesting restaurants. What is our best approach as to where to stay.? Should we plan to stay in 2 or 3 different areas? We prefer to stay in lodging not directly in the city usually $180 TO $300 a night with a heated pool. Any suggestions are appreciated as I continue researching this area. Thank you.

I have also asked some of the experts these questions.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

There are actually many more than just 4 areas in Oregon and you missed mentioning a major one that hikers such as myself love; Central Oregon. I love the Jefferson Wilderness area. Bend is in a high desert with beautiful mountains, lakes, and the Deschutes river to kayak or canoe on.

The best selection of restaurants will be in Portland, definitely not in the burbs. I think it is up to you what you want to make a priority. Do you want to be near good restaurants? Stay downtown somewhere and easily catch public transportation to a squillion fabulous places to eat. Want to stay in the suburbs surrounded by Love Garden, Red Lobster and other chain restaurants? Stay in Lake Oswego off Kruse Way, in Beaverton or at the airport.

With 9-10 days, you could get a little of everything but DEFINITELY plan for a couple of days along our stunning Oregon Coast. 2-3 nights and you will get a glimpse of what this area has to offer. There are several great hikes along the coast as well as some wine tasting at Blue Heron in Tillamook.

Spend a few nights in Portland trying a lot of good locally owned restaurants that use loally sourced ingredients.

Maybe 2 nights in Hood River exploring The Gorge, hiking and wine tasting in that area. I find the wines I like the most are just across the river on the Washington side. Syncline and Domaine Pouillon are two of my favorites. Marchesi in Hood River has a beautiul tasting room area with nice outdoor patio but I don't love all their wines. The Sangiovese is my favorite and it is a nice experience.

A few of my favorite hikes in The Gorge are Angels Rest, Hamilton Mountain, Eagle Creek to Punch Bowl Falls. Make sure to purchase a parking pass for hiking in Oregon. The fine for not having one is steep. I know because I accidentally left my pass in my glove box during a hike last year.

Best of luck in your planning! Let us know when you have done some research and put together an itinerary and come back and ask questions to fine tune it.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 16:23
kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

Thankss for the info. I will check out the Jefferson wilderness but may be too much to do the coast, Portland area and Bend in 1 trip, just too much rushing around for this 62 year old. Obviusly, I need to do my homework before asking more questions. I will be sure to stay in Portland proper instead of the suburbs as I never go to chains.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

CHeck out www.nwhiker for information on hiking.

On the 4th they have a blues fest on the Waterfront downtown. Fireworks can be seen there.

For us, we think it too busy so you need to know your options. You may well enjoy the waterfront one.

We much prefer the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. That is the section of the Columiba River from Troutdale to The Dalles in Oregon and Washington. It's very stunning out there and there are a few fireworks shows you may like.

One is up on the hill in Corbett (still to busy for us, one road in and out) A fun day there. To benefit the Volunteer Firemen. THey put on a great show. Most all the locals go there.

Or there is the one in Cascade Locks out past Multnomah Falls. This is one everyone in the county can enjoy. Easy access to the freeway, close to Hood River.

You will find all kinds of lodging in the Gorge. From BnBs to hotels to camping.

Check out www.bestgorge.com to see the highlights of the Gorge.

There is a lot to do out there, the Fruit Loop, the wine vineyards, the breweries, the (www.MtHoodrr.com) which is a century old steam train and more.

Why, we even have a Stone Henge replica in in the gorge.

Have fun planning.

Mrs O

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

Thanks again.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

If you want less time on the road, I would suggest Portland, the coast and Hood River. There is a nice easy hike on the Moser Twin Tunnel Trail very close to Hood River. It is along the old highway so on a wide paved road with some nice views.

Save Central Oregon for your next trip but definitely spend at least one night along the coast but I recommend 2-3.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

Also,look at Wahclella, and Tamanawas east of Hood near Parkdale. I think you would like that. Very well rated hikes. Maybe you will become a waterfall lover and there's a book at Multnomah Falls gift shop that I love, PNW Waterfall Lovers.

MrsO

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

Hike Eagle Creek! Waterfalls around every corner! And not a ton of elevation either! I promise you won't be disappointed!

8. Re: First visit- hiking with a little wine tasting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:18