We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland for 5 nights

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Portland for 5 nights

Starting our trip in Portland for 5 nights in May. Here's what we have planned so far:

Hotel: Jupiter Hotel (quiet side) for a few nights during the week and then to The Paramount Hotel for the remainder

Taking the bus to Canon Beach for a day, heading to Forest Park, Saturday Market, Your Antique district, VooDoo Donuts, Pittock Mansion, and probably one of the gardens (Japanese, chinese or rose..not sure which yet) and Powell's bookstore, food pod area.

Any other suggestions or things/neighbourhoods we should visit? We had originalyl wanted to go to Mt. Hood but decided against it as we would prefer not renting a car/driving on this trip.

We're really into architecture, history, nature, art/museum (non-modern), FOOD (of all varieties!), good low-key bars, nothing where we have to dress up or that has a pretentious vibe. And we're also into "nerd" stuff, so any cool toy stores etc.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paramount Hotel
Paramount Hotel
1,296 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland Saturday Market
Portland Saturday Market
962 Reviews
Portland, OR
Pittock Mansion
Pittock Mansion
2,077 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland for 5 nights

If you are into architecture I would suggest talking a walk around the Irvington and Ladd's Addition neighborhoods. Both have beautiful million dollar craftsman homes scattered throughout the neighborhood. Ladd's also has 4 small rose gardens on the north, south, east, and west ends of the neighborhood. Ladd's is also along Hawthorne so after walking through there you can head up to hawthorne for a drink or a bite to eat.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Mentioned in this post
Ladd's Addition
Ladd's Addition
14 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland for 5 nights

The Rose Garden and the Japanese Garden are right next to each other, and both are well worth seeing. The Japanese Garden (which costs something to get into) is reputed to be one of the best in the world. It is quiet and serene. The Rose Garden is free, and right down below (indeed, it is were you park to go to the Japanese Garden). The Chinese Garden is in the city center, also nice but a different thing entirely. Worth seeing as well but perhaps not as spectacular.

The Portland Art Museum has the truly excellent Carrie Mae Weems photography show on through May 19. If you are there on the first Thursday of the month, all the art galleries are open late with their shows -- most in the Pearl district of NW Portland. Book in advance a good restaurant like Park Kitchen at the end because they'll be full. Even if you're not there on First Thursday the galleries in the Pearl can be interesting if you like art. There is a gallery guide that they all have. Start at Froelick Gallery or Elizabeth Leach or PDX Gallery (or Blue Sky or any number of others). There is also Last Thursday on NE Alberta, which is somewhat wilder.

Consider doing a food cart tour of Portland (http://www.foodcartsportland.com/tours/) -- sort of a pub crawl of food. Then rent a bike and ride around to burn off the calories. Bring raingear.

Lots of live music around Portland of almost every description. On May 17 the Wanderlust Circus (look it up) is playing at the Alberta Rose Theatre, and I can't even begin to describe that.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 19:07
Mentioned in this post
Portland Japanese Garden
Portland Japanese Garden
5,131 Reviews
Portland, OR
Chinese Garden
Chinese Garden
4 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland Art Museum
Portland Art Museum
989 Reviews
Portland, OR
Park Kitchen
Park Kitchen
217 Reviews
Portland, OR
Alberta Rose Theatre
Alberta Rose Theatre
12 Reviews
Portland, OR
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
60 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland for 5 nights

Second the recommendation on Ladd's Addition/Laurelhurst: those aren't on the typical tourist circuit and there are really some wonderful homes in those areas. Same goes for the Irvington neighborhood in NE. And the Kings Heights neighborhood near Washington Park (where the Rose and Japanese Gardens are) is pretty spectacular too, but less amenable to walking. I wrote a pretty scathing review of Voodoo Donuts, but thats just one person's opinion: if you gotta go, be my guest. At the end of the day, it's donuts, nothing more. For an overview of the Portland vibe, I think there's probably no better single destination than NW 21st and 23rd Aves: bars, restaurants, and quirky shops...

Mentioned in this post
Ladd's Addition
Ladd's Addition
14 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland for 5 nights

IMHO NW 23rd is far too anodyne now, full of chain stores. The "Portlandia" Portland is on SE Hawthorne, NE Alberta, and NW 13th (between Davis and Lovejoy). There are obviously some exceptions to that.

Mentioned in this post
Portlandia
Portlandia
275 Reviews
Portland, OR
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland for 5 nights

I admit it...I had to look up "anodyne." The way I interpret gnetwerker's meaning is that if something isn't in your face and offensive it's not true to Portland. It could also mean new and different, I suppose....and the now called Nob Hill area has settled into a bit of comfortable familiarity. I happen to like the neighborhoods vibe and especially the Inn@Northrup Station and the well established and justifiably popular restaurants in the area. And my wife (the final decision on shop browsing) still likes the poking around in the boutiques.

We also like the SE Hawthorne area, but that's a different story. Not sure I'd base myself there.

Thanks for the new word. I have to work it into my vocabulary. It's sure to impress some people.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,723 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland for 5 nights

Oregonpoppa, Marvel Comics briefly had a super heroine named Anodyne. She eased the pain of the sick and injured.

Don't you love the Oregon Forum?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland for 5 nights

I must have fallen behind in my assigned reading.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland for 5 nights

Can't say I've ever read any Marvel Comics, but I couldn't figure out how a necklace had anything to do with Portland ;-)

goodreads.com/book/show/25175.The_Anodyne_Ne…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland for 5 nights

Oregonpoppa, once you've got a lock on "anodyne", try "meretricious" -- always good for a laugh.

However, you misinterpret me. I enjoy NW 23rd, but wouldn't call it "uniquely Portland" anymore. Nor do I think that Belmont or Hawthorne are "in your face and offensive", or even that being offensive is somehow associated with Portland. Far from it. Quirky, yes. Way quirky? Yes, again. But in any case, not offensive.

Just my opinion, not trying to be offensive :-)

Level Contributor
37,637 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland for 5 nights

The Hawthorne District in Portland is very cool! We love to eat at Pho Van Bistro there. :)