We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

Greetings:

Will be finished with a business meeting by noon in Eugene and heading back up to Portland....by chance, any wineries not too far off the 5 on my way back that serve a great lunch?...big fan of Domaine Serene-not sure if they have a restaurant.

Thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

http://www.kingestate.com/

Can't help you on the way north out of Eugene, although we have some forum regulars who are more knowledgeable than I in that area. The best winery dining in the Eugene area is at King Estate, about 20 miles southwest of Eugene in Lorane. Perhaps, you could visit there and THEN head north.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

I'm not sure which wineries serve lunch but for a fantastic, simple lunch in Newberg SW of Portland try

http://www.bonaventurasausage.com/

Really good. Lot's of tasting rooms close by. Domaine Serene is further west in Dundee.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

King Estate is the only Oregon winery I know of that has a restaurant and/or regular food service. And I'm not sure how they get away with it as I think a restaurant conflicts with the land use laws of the agricultural zoning of most wineries.

If on the other hand, you're okay with a restaurant that has some vineyards nearby, you might consider Jory at The Allison Inn in Newberg.

Level Contributor
35,001 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

King Estate is a beautiful winery with very good food. Another place we really love is Williamette Valley Vineyards which has recently added food service. We have sampled several things there: salads, sliders with truffled fries,,yummy soups and desserts.

Both places have beautiful outdoor patios if the weather is nice. Pinot heaven... Enjoy! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

By "food service" you mean banquets and catering, don't you syrahgirl?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

are any of the recommendations close to or right off I-5?...

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

Willamette Valley Vineyards is on I-5, 10 miles south of Salem, but there's still the unanswered "food service" question.

If you're not in a hurry, come north on 99W. It's much more interesting than I-5, and will eventually take you through the heart of wine country, within a few miles of Domaine Serene, and past several good late lunch or early dinner options.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

thrumylens, if the King Estate restaurant was in existence prior to mid-2011 and has EFU zoning, it most likely had a Conditional Use Permit for the restaurant and those are handled by the county in which the vineyard is located. As of mid-2011, wineries are allowed to conduct certain other commercial activities. This includes many things - one of which is that large wineries on 80+ acres of land (plus some other restrictions) are now allowed to operate a full service restaurant on their grounds.

In looking at WVV website, it appears they do only special events...

http://www.wvv.com/visit/facilities_catering/

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

I think thrumylens is correct that King Estate is the only Oregon winery that has a full-service restaurant all the time. Willamette Valley Vineyards does special food events -- notably a fall fund-raiser for Marion-Polk Food Share that features several of the area's top chefs -- throughout the year, but no regular day-to-day meal service. Cana's Feast in Carlton also does special food events, and may have hearty "snacks" to accompany wines in their tasting room.

The suggestion for lunch at Jory is a good one. Actually, Dundee and McMinnville have a number of wineries not only in the nearby countryside, but some literally next to or across from excellent dining spots.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Wineries Serve a Great Lunch?

King Estate's rights to have a restaurant were challenged recently. Can't remember all the details (guess we could Google it all), but it survived. They say the restaurant serves marketing and educational purposes and, therefore, is a natural adjunct to the business. The food is good, upscale and the servers are well versed in the vineyard, the winery, the wines and food pairing. They don't just give you a flight and walk away; they describe and explain each glass, it's cost per bottle and why it is priced differently than the others in the flight. I have been to the restaurant a few times and my wife and I came away well fed and better informed.

That's not to say they aren't skirting around a few laws and regs, but it's OK by me.