We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
TECUMSEH
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Will be in Portland June 29-July 2. First trip to Portland and interested in suggestions for eclectic and off-the-beaten path experiences. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Portland is itself eclectic and off the beaten path. For your first trip, do the usually recommended things...Japanese and Chinese Gardens, Powell's Books, take the streetcar on its loop through the city, wander and people watch through Pioneer Square, enjoy a few brewpubs and food carts, etc. If this is the beaten path there are ample reasons for being so.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

"Usually recommend things" I agree with poppa. He has a good short list. You might add NW 23rd our trendy area and Hawthorne.

First time to Portland doubt you want to do Montavilla or St Johns or Oregon City, which could be called off the beaten path.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Try renting a bike and riding along the east bank esplanade along the waterfront down into the Sellwood neighborhood. Lots of neat shops and brew pubs there. The ride is easy and flat.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Shanghai Tunnel Tour. Not been on it myself but recently saw it on TV:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52024-d23…

Maybe a jet boat ride.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Actually, almost all of Portland is off the beaten path. See Poppa's note. Also check out Forest Park (nice hike), upper Alberta Street (NE), local farmer's markets and the beauty of Bishops Close. Have fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

If Wanderlust Circus (www.wanderlustcircus.com) is playing when you're in town, that is pretty "off the beaten track". There's a Doris Day tribute night (in Hillsboro) on June 30. If the Rose City Rollers (women's full-contact roller derby) is on, that is not to be missed (www.rosecityrollers.com). The Rebirth Brass Band is playing at the Doug Fir while you're here. Or take a Food Cart Tour. Help keep Portland weird.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,379 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

i agree, portland is eclectic...lot's of fun things to do. how about one of the best farmer's markets..ever, the chocolates, and tamales..yummy.

get some food at the food carts , on 10th and alder, and walk a couple of block to pioneer square. they have a fountain, and tables and chairs. sweet.

great pub down the street, rock bottom.

rose garden, vietnam memorial, the arborietium..great places to reflect on how lucky we all are!

enjoy

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Hey! We are visting portland in July and I found a couple of cute rentals on VRBO that are near NW 23rd. Is this a unique, affordable area? We will have a car, and I know public transportation is available so we will wander from where we stay, but at the same time we love to be able to walk the neighborhood and enjoy vibrant surroundings.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

Sure, NW 23rd is a fine area, not downtown, but Portland isn't that big. It has good bars and restaurants. It was Portland's new, happening hot-spot perhaps 20 years ago, but there is plenty of life left in it. Wander down to the Pearl for a (slightly) hipper vibe, or to certain parts of SE for the newest thing, but perhaps more spread out.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eclectic and Off the Beaten Path

I think the things I'm going to mention are probably still on the beaten path, if we're talking about Portland's beaten path, but maybe they are new enough that you'd find them fresh? All very Portland-y.

You might be interested in staying places that are slightly more out there. Maybe the Tierra Soul guesthouse? http://www.tierrasoulpdx.com/ It's near the whole Mississippi area, and the Alberta strip is nearby. The scene on Alberta and Mississippi is a bit more recent than some of the other areas mentioned. Maybe Jupiter Hotel and the whole scene that's grown up on Burnside?

I think the Organic Brewers Festival is on when you're in town.

Maybe drop by this place, which is using different, locally grown varieties of wheat for its bread: http://taborbread.com/ also http://eyesandedge.com/tabor-bread/

These guys are doing interesting things - I doubt you'll find too many travelers that make it out here: http://www.zengerfarm.org/ They are open to visitors most Friday afternoons.

Maybe check out what these guys have going on in their adult classes - you might end up going home with your own homemade knife or a bow and arrow or something. They're kind of a weird homegrown version of scouting: trackerspdx.com/….UaRjveuSRJU