We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockford,MI
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

We are making some progress for our September trip to the great NW. This is where we are right now. Nothing carved in stone but the hotel reservations listed.

Leave GRR early Fri, Sept 6. Arriving PDX about 11:00 AM

Day 1- Arrive in Portland get acclimated. No REAL plans for this day.We are staying at Hotel 50.

Day 2-BEER DAY. Plan to visit lots of breweries. Maybe rent a bike for a ride around town.

Day 3- Hope to take one of the tours we have read about. There is one that takes you to the gorge, loops around Mt. Hood with stops along the way.

Days 4- Pick up car rental and leave Portland. Head south to check out some wineries in the Willamette Valley. we have a night booked at the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.

Day 5- Depart McMinnville and head down to the Haceta Head Lighthouse. We have a night booked at their B & B. This is our 30 wedding anniversary and wanted to stay somewhere special. maybe take in a winery or 2 along the way. Maybe have a nice dinner in Florence.

Day 6- After what I hear will be a great Breakfast at the B & B. We will depart and head up the Oregon coast. Plan to stop in Depoe Bay and take one of the whale watching tour with Carrie Newell. I have read nothing but good things about her tours. They look like fairly quick tours so they won't take up the whole day by any stretch (longest tour is 2 hours). Leaving there we continue up the cost hoping to stop in Astoria (got to see the Goonies house). If there is time we would like to head over and get an up close of Mt. St. Helens. Not sure if we are being over ambitious here,This will no doubt take up into the evening. We have no plans on a specific hotel or location for this night. We may just wing it here.

Day 7- Head north to Seattle. Hopefully arriving in the 2-3 o'clock range. Drop off car head to hotel (Sheraton Hotel Downtown). Get city acclimated take in a nice dinner.

Day 8-Try and take in all we can on this day. Pikes Place Market, Space Needle, couple breweries, maybe the Underground tour.

Day 9- Head to SEA. 8:45 flight home.

Day 6 seems to be the day with the most uncertainty. I may want some opinions/input on that day. Didn't want to have EVERYTHING overly structured otherwise it can make your vacation seem more like work. If it looks like I am missing anything obvious feel free to point it out. Sometimes planning these things can be overwhelming.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

There is an awesome museum in Astoria called The Columbia River Maritime Museum you may want to schedule time for in Astoria also. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for this area. Happy Travels! :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Ambitious. GM says, for example, 4 hours just to Astoria. Driving time, no stops, no viewing, no dining, etc. And you don't "get an up close" of Mt. St. Helens; you drive in and out, figure from I 5 at least 3 hours for that part of the trip. If overcast/low clouds, call the Visitor Center and inquire about visibility. Alternatively, again weather dependent, Mt. Rainier NP.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Yep, agree with Voyaging about day 6 and suggest you consider staying in Astoria that night. That would also give you more time to enjoy the drive north along the coast from Depoe Bay, where I think you've short-changed yourselves.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Agree that you are trying to put too much into Day 6. There are so many places to stop and see along the Oregon Coast between Hecata Head and Astoria, (Oregon has one of the most spectacular coastlines in the country) that you will want to make many short stops. Suggest that you stay the night in Astoria. Based on your other hotel picks, I think you would like the Cannery Pier Hotel.

On Day 7 you can drive from Astoria to Johnston Ridge in about 2 hours. (I live in Longview WA, 45-50 minutes from Astoria, a little over an hour to St. Helens Johnston Ridge.) From Johnston Ridge to Seattle - about 3 hours. You should be able to get to Seattle by late afternoon.

As voyaging suggests, check the weather before driving all the way up to Johnston Ridge. You can stop at the first visitor center, Mt. St. Helens Visitor Center at Silver Lake and find out about visibility. It's very near I-5, maybe 5-6 miles.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Day 6 is nearly impossible in my book. I think this also solves your rental car problem you asked about in your other post. I would stay in Portland the night of day 6, then take the train or bolt bus to Seattle on day 7. This will save you a couple hundred dollars by skipping the one way rental car you had planned. I have a blog post about using Priceline for rental cars that will save you even more money. Here is the link if you are interested in checking it out. http://wp.me/p37kyW-5Y.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Rockford,MI
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

Never thought about doing that Scott. You may have something there.

Thank You, and thanks to all the folks for feedback. That was just what I was looking for.

7. Re: Portland/Seattle Itinerary so far...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 05:17