We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Seattle concert trip

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
634 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portland to Seattle concert trip

So, I've always wanted to visit Portland and Seattle, and it just so happens my favorite band is playing both in August. Now that I'm finished with school, it seems like the perfect time to make it happen!

So my plan is to spend two nights in Portland, then take the Amtrak train to Seattle and spend a couple nights there. As a recent college grad, I am definitely on a budget. Can anyone recommend a good budget hotel? The show is at the Wonder Ballroom in NE Portland (still getting all the neighborhood lingo down), if that helps suggestions. I'm confident using public transportation, but since it's just two days, I don't want to spend TOO much time on buses and whatnot. Also, I'll have to make it to Union Station fairly early in the morning.

I'm 23 years old and am mostly interested in good food, beer, seeing some scenery and just exploring the city. Thanks for any tips!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

Check out the White Eagle Saloon, it is within walking distance of the Ballroom. If you don't mind sharing a room it is about $50 a night. mcmenamins.com/683-white-eagle-hotel-room-ra…

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

There's also this place on AirBNB for $60/night, a few blocks away from the Wonder: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/617737

Don't know it, can't vouch for it, YMMV, but that area has everything you want: good food (Toro Bravo), lots of pubs and a brewery, and the Wonder Ballroom. But there aren't a lot of hotels. I didn't know the White Eagle (don't mix it up with "The Eagle"!) had rooms.

The nearest formal hotels are around the Rose Quarter/Convention Center -- the Crown Plaza, an EconoLodge, etc.

As for transport, you can take the streetcar from the train station, get off at MLK, and walk to the Wonder Ballroom -- it is about 7 fairly short blocks (less than 1/2 mile)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

make sure you take the amtrak cascades train to Seattle and not the Coast Starlight...

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

The White Eagle sounds right up my alley. Location is more important than the amenities for me. Anyone know if the MAX stops near here from the airport? Any other suggestions are welcome!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

There is a Max stop within walking distance but you will need to switch from the red line to yellow line at the rose quarter. You then get off at the next stop and walk up Russell St. A couple of blocks.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

6. Re: Portland to Seattle concert trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:18