We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nor Cal
Level Contributor
127 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

Hi,

We are headed to beautiful Oregon over 4th of July week. We are planning to hike Oneonta Gorge while we are there. My boyfriends mother is disabled and unable to make the trek with us. We are looking for a restaurant close by that offers outside seating with a view. So that she can relax and enjoy the view while we are hiking. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

Charburger in Cascade Locks has great views from inside. Not sure how accessible their outside seating is.

Multnomah Falls Lodge has nice out side seating. again not sure how accessible.

How far do you plan to hike up Oneonta Gorge? Or how long do you plan to leave her there?

A fair amount of the Historic Columbia River Hwy is now available as a trail and usable for disabled. maybe that is good option. From Cascade Locks west.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

I think with the crowds in the area celebrating it would be hard to stay in a restaurant while you go to Oneonta. However Multnomah Falls Restaurant has an outside picnic area with seats and that shouldn't be bad. (hot dogs etc.) Oneonta is close in that area. She can visit the Information Center too. (and they have a gift shop next to the VI)

Have a good visit.

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

There are several outside restaurants with good views, but seriously, how long to you plan to leave her there? Is she mobile on her own? Does she like just sitting in new places?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

mama, good questions.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 01:37
Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

Multnomah Falls Restaurant is really nice with pretty views of the falls. The outdoor patio is where we ate but the inside dining room is also beautiful with lots of windows and space. :)

Nor Cal
Level Contributor
127 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

She'll have the car. We are planning to have her drop us off. If we have cell service we'll call her when we get back. If we don't then we'll arrange a time for her to pick us up. I guess the word disabled was poorly used. There is nothing wrong with her physically or mentally. She just isn't active the way we are. She loves trying new restaurants and enjoys sitting around and chatting with everyone she sees. I’m trying to have everything mapped out prior to our arrival to make things easier on all of us. I’ve started her a list of things close by that she might be interested in checking out. She is actually from Rainer Oregon and we are visiting her. She just might decide she doesn't want to come with us but I'd like to keep our options open

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

Hmm, not disabled, sure makes a difference. That means she is like me, no longer a hiker. be easy on us older generation

Make sure you include Bonneville Dam and fish hatchery for her. And lunch at Multnomah Falls patio would probably be great fun, many people come and go. I am sort of chatty guy and easy place to find someone to chat with.

If you can find place to park

Edited: 18 June 2013, 23:30
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

I'm confused. Do you, or do you not have a disabled mother? If she is disabled, please make sure she has all care needed during your visit. If not, why would you call her that? I don't hike as much as I used to, but I'm certainly not disabled. Yet. Please be honest with us if we are to provide value.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

>> I guess the word disabled was poorly used. There is nothing wrong with her physically or mentally. She just isn't active the way we are.<<

Oh my.

I sincerely hope that you don't think that everybody who *is not* into heavy-duty hiking, biking, kayaking etc, is "disabled"!

You say she'll have the car? So she's looking for a place to have a pleasant drive and then stop for a bite to eat or something? How many hours do you & boyfriend intend to do your heavy-duty hiking?

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants with a view - Columbia River Gorge

If it were me, I would spend a bit of time at Edgefield Inn in Troutdale...lots to see on the grounds, a slight bit of walking around would be ok...have her park in the upper lot so she doesn't have to climb the stairs up to the hotel. There are a few restaurants & no one hassles you if you just want to hang out. I love to sit on the porch and enjoy the view, read, relax.

If she wants to do a bit of browsing, the shops in downtown Troutdale are fun and there are a few places to grab a bite too. These 2 venues could easily take up my whole day (and have before!).