We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

I'm taking the train in from Seattle. I will arrive in Portland by myself on a Monday morning and flying out of Portland Wednesday, early afternoon. Trying to decide on where to stay that's not too pricey, and is in a good area (Roughly $100-150/night). There seems to be so much to do and see here, so I'm trying to find advice on the biggest, best things to do within 48 hrs basically. I won't be renting a car, so places that are easily walkable and have the best public transportation stop would be preferable. Someone's told me Rose/Japanese Garden and Washington Park are two places to visit. Also, I'm a huge foodie... suggestions on places to eat would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland Japanese Garden
Portland Japanese Garden
5,131 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

Those are good places to visit and give good bang for your buck. I would go to Pioneer Square and grab a Willamette Week free newspaper- it will give the latest happenings for the week. Cant go wrong with spending some time in Powells Books and NW/Pearl area. Also a walk around the esplanade gives great views and is nice. You might want to check out one of those bike or food walking tours. They may have that information at Pioneer Square visitior area.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 05:33
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

There is a ton of great food places but where portland really shines are the food carts, over 600 right now. Look up Food Carts Portland. They have a FB page and a website. You could do a little walking eating tour.

Level Contributor
37,613 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

Mid-week rates are cheaper than weekend, look at the POVA website. You receive complimentary parking and breakfast with your room. The Downtown area is a nice place to stay.

Little Bird Bistro, Urban Farmer and Departure @ The Nines, Pazzo, The Heathman and Higgins are a few of our favorites in this area. :)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

Hi

I suggest the you get familiar with the transit option at this site http://trimet.org/howtoride/streetcar.htm this will save you lots of time and may not be as stressful when you are there trying to figure out everything at the last minute.

you may want to look at this thread for hotels on the MAX line since you are flying out on the Wed.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g52024-i238-k180990…

texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

Thank you all for your replies. I'll definitely take a look at everyone's suggestions and websites. For hotel, I'm thinking about Hotel Fifty -- if I can get a price under $150. The reviews seem fairly good, and it's right next to a Max line. Anyone have experience with this Hotel?

Again, thank you all!

6. Re: In Portland for 2 days by myself. Where to stay? What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:18