We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for zoo visit

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for zoo visit

We will be staying in Portland for two nights in early September and going to a Zoo concert on the Friday evening.

Can anyone advise as to a good hotel location for travel to the concert, and then for spending the day in town. I got really confused when trying to understand the public transport. Ideally we'd like the travel to be easy.

Thanks

Betty

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

We've got tickets for the same concert! Love those Doobies. ;-)

Easiest for you will be to just take the MAX red or blue line west from Portland. The Zoo stop is the first after leaving downtown. Any downtown hotel with a SW street address should be fine, but if you give us an idea as to budget, we can be more specific with recommendations.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

Good idea. It's easier to park if you don't have a car... ;-). I would ditto Metro.

MrsO

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

Thanks for the above

I suspected this might be the best option.

We currently have a booking outside of downtown.

I guess the budget is up to about 200 a night, but including parking as we're on a road trip.

Travel Portland has hotels which include parking. There's the Residence Inn and Inn at Northrup but I suspect why aren't near the Max lines. Otherwise there is the Modera, rivers Edge and Modera. Embassy Suites also do some parking deals. Are any of these close to the Max.

I'm excited at the thought of seeing the Doobies, never thought I'd get to see them.

Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

Many hotels will make that same offer to you if you call them directly. Even though we live in the area, we stay in downtown for special events and I always call the hotel directly and 99% of the time they offer the same deal that includes parking and breakfast. So that should open up some more possibilities for you:)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

Try the Residence Inn Lloyd Center. The Lloyd Center Max stop is about one block away and it looks to me like it can be had for under $150 that night. Plus it has free parking and a serviceable free breakfast for folks who stay there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

Betty, of the hotels you listed, I'd choose the Modera. It's not often mentioned on this forum, but it's a nice hotel in a good location, and has a decent restaurant on-site. From there to the MAX train is 8 - 9 short blocks, and you won't feel a bit uncomfortable making that walk after the concert. Pray for good weather though.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 16:30
7. Re: Hotel for zoo visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 07:18