We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adjusted Itinerary..

Rockford,MI
Level Contributor
136 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Adjusted Itinerary..

Per some MUCH appreciated suggestions we have adjusted the itinerary I posted about a month ago. I think we have it down pretty good. Leaving some activities open in Portland'

So here is where we are at.

Leave GRR early Fri, Sept 6. Arriving PDX about 11:00 AM

Day 1- Arrive in Portland get acclimated. No REAL plans for this day.We are staying at Hotel 50.

Day 2-BEER DAY. Plan to visit lots of breweries. Maybe rent a bike for a ride around town.

Day 3- Hope to take one of the tours we have read about. There is one that takes you to the Gorge, loops around Mt. Hood with stops along the way. This will take up a good portion of the day.

Days 4- Pick up car rental and leave Portland. Head south to check out some wineries in the Willamette Valley. we have a night booked at the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.

Day 5- Depart McMinnville and head down to the Haceta Head Lighthouse. We have a night booked at their B & B. This is our 30 wedding anniversary and wanted to stay somewhere special. Perhaps take in a winery or 2 along the way. Maybe have a nice dinner in Florence.

Day 6- After what I hear will be a great Breakfast at the B & B. We will depart and head up the Oregon coast. Plan to stop in Depoe Bay and take one of the whale watching tour with Carrie Newell. I have read nothing but good things about her tours. They look like fairly quick tours so they won't take up the whole day by any stretch (longest tour is 2 hours). This is one place we made a change. We were planning on continue along the coast and heading into Washington. Per suggestions it appears we were biting off more than we could chew and cheating ourselves on the drive along the coast. We will now be able to take our time and eventually settle for the night in Astoria. We are booked at the Cannery Pier Hotel.

Day 7- Second big change per suggestion. Rather than rent a car in Portland and drive it to Seattle, we are now returning it to Portland the next morning and taking the Amtrak Cascade train up to Seattle. This is saving us over $300 on the rental car fee. The train trip for the 2 of us to Seattle is only $50 TOTAL. We leave Portland at 12:15, arriving in Seattle 3:45, which is about what we were planning to arrive there anyways. The only real thing we are missing out on is Mt. St Helens, but the benefits outweighed the negatives.This was pretty much a no brainer.

Day 8-Try and take in all we can on this day. Pikes Place Market, Space Needle, couple breweries, maybe the Underground tour.

Day 9- Head to SEA. 8:45 flight home.

We think the adjustment from our original itinerary will make those portions of the trip a little more time friendly allowing us to not have to rush things.

Opinions on this itinerary are appreciated. And thanks again to all the kind folks who helped with suggestions since we started planning our trip. We are truly looking forwarf to this trip.

Wildwood Adventures
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Secrets Of Portlandia Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Eat Adventures Food Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Eco Tours of Oregon
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adjusted Itinerary..

Looks like you have planned a great trip! I have stayed at both Hotel 50 and Cannery Pier Hotel and rate them highly. Try to get a river view room on the 5th floor at Hotel 50. Every room at Cannery Pier is river view--you are out on the river. The ships will pass right by your window. If you can work it in, be sure to visit the Maritime Museum in Astoria.

I've been to Heceta Head Lighthouse a number of times, but never stayed at the B&B. It gets good reviews. I have fond memories of staying at at B&B in a lighthouse at Big Bay, MI. Loved that trip--first time to the Great Lakes.

If the weather is clear on the day you take the train to Seattle you should be able to see Mt. St. Helens. Not quite like driving up to the ridge, but a beautiful sight anyhow. Also look for Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier, and as you leave Portland you should see Mt. Hood. Enjoy the journey!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adjusted Itinerary..

I think you have made some great changes and will enjoy your trip :-)

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adjusted Itinerary..

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel50...do not miss their breakfast...they make a unique eggs benedict that I now copy at home!! Sitting at the bar was fun too...bartender can tell you some neat places to embibe.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adjusted Itinerary..

Gopher, it is people like you that keep me coming back here. People who listen to our ideas, and even better let us know we helped.

5. Re: Adjusted Itinerary..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:18