We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Portland for work

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Portland for work

Hey there Portland advisors!!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Portland for work. He has been out there several times and this time I am tagging along. We will both be working during the week (Mon - Fri) and wanted to get some ideas on what to do and see after work. We will be arriving on a Saturday in Aug, flying to Seattle and making the drive down to Portland that day. Sunday we plan to drive to Cannon Beach for a day trip. We like to see new things in new areas and he has been to Mt Hood and downtown area, anything else we can do that will be new for us to see?

On the following Saturday we are driving to Seattle, making a pit stop in Mt Rainier and then staying in Seattle for the weekend and then will return home Monday. Have to say, I love some work trips :)

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Portland for work

The international rose test garden can be a nice place to spend an evening. Spending happy hour and then dinner on N. Mississippi is also a great way to spend a few hours. There are lots of bars and restaurants that you can bounce between. Same is also true for Hawthorne and Belmont areas.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Mentioned in this post
Hawthorne
Hawthorne
36 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Portland for work

I'd check out the gorge if I were you, lots of waterfalls, hiking trails & dinner at Multnomah lodge (with view of falls) is really nice.

The gorge is quiet on weeknights, so you should be able to get in some enjoyable hiking.

Try the food carts (they're everywhere)

On your way to Mt Rainier, drive around the east side of Mt St Helens -- its a beautiful drive -- not near as fast as I-5 though (thats part of the charm.

& just enjoy exploring -- lots of fun neighborhoods & people watching. Have a good trip :)

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Portland for work

the Columbia River gorge is an obvious choice if you havent been there before- a few areas on the western edge of the gorge make good short after work events with the long daylight hours. If its really, really hot- say above 90 a dip in Oneonta gorge is a great way to spend the early evening after a long days work... and cool off!!

Mentioned in this post
Oneonta Gorge
Oneonta Gorge
503 Reviews
Cascade Locks, OR
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Portland for work

Judystravels, I'm unsure what you mean by driving the east side of Mt. St. Helens; Forest Service roads? If so, I'd not advise that and, depoending on their condition, not in a rental care.

If visiting Mt. St. Helens, I'd go via this route all the way to the fascinating Johnston Ridge Observatory - but it makes for an extremely long driving day if you include Mt. RNP. I'd hit Mt. St. H. on Monday, on your return to Portland. http://goo.gl/maps/qRYd5

Your day from Portland to, and including your time at, Mt. Rainier NP will be a full one.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 04:09
Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Portland for work

The Gorge area is gorgeous! Try to get out that way to see the falls and beautiful scenery in this area. :))

Edited: 15 July 2013, 15:16
6. Re: Week in Portland for work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:17