We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pella, IA
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

My husband and myself are planning a two week trip starting in Seattle. We will be staying with family before heading for the coast. We don't like having to change hotels every night so would like to be able to spend a couple nights at each stop and branching out during the day. Our plans are to head to Sonoma, then head inland on our way back. We have been to Napa which we loved, but want to hit the Washington state wineries this trio. So, coastal sights down, inland sights/wineries on our way back. We enjoy nature, farmers markets, art festivals, good food, wine, and quaint towns. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

Even with two weeks you will be covering a fair amount of territory... I'm assuming this is during the summer.

I dont think you can drive the amout proposed(Sonoma to E. Washington) without changing hotels every night- I would definetly consider saving Sonoma for another trip...

Note that the coastal views dont really start along hwy 101 unti you reach Oregon, unless you spend some time in Olympic National Park. My understanding is that the Washington wineries of note are in Eastern Washington(Walla Walla)- a good distance from the coast(and Sonoma)- is this the area of Washington Wineries you want to explore?

I might head directly from Seattle to Portland- with a stop at Mt St Helens. Possibly overnight in the Willamette Valley wine country(just south of Portland) and then head to the coast along hwy 18 spending a few days in Newport.

Perhaps spend the next night in Bandon or Gold Beach and then drive down to the Redwoods to spend a few days there.

From Redwoods you can drive to Crater Lake if interested-overnight in this area. Next day drive to Bend for a few days to explore central oregon. From Bend you can drive up to Walla Walla area.

From Walla Walla drive over to Mt Rainier NP if interested- with a overnight somewhere around here before heading back to seattle.

Even from this itenerary there is about 12 days worth of travel if you spend 2 days at the areas suggested and a few single overnights.

There is just too much to see and do in the NW and N California...

Edited: 16 July 2013, 03:54
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

Not sure why you are headed for Sonoma when you have already been to Napa. Long way there from Seattle. Suggest you go down coast from Portland to Otis and down 101, turn back into oreg at Crescent City.

Oreg has several wineries near McMinnville. Which wineries in Wash??

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Are you aware that Oregon has hundreds of wineries? Here are a general map and info about all the different regions:

www.winesnw.com/oregonAVAMap_WineCenter.htm

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_wine#Major_wine-p…

You're planning to cover a lot of territory, so I also think that if you want to drive that many miles, you'll need to change lodging pretty much every night.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

The Oregon coast is best done moving along. there is just one Hwy. If you stop in Newport and day trip you have to return, then when you leave probably will take same route. Is it that hard to move? I can see one place in Bend where you have many directions you can go.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,751 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

If you are going to Walla Walla, you will be passing through the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area which has a very good AVA of their own. The Dalles, Hood River , Stevensen WA, and more. Why pass up the waterfalls and beauty there?

Get a map by googleing Columbia River Gorge Wine Map.

MrsO

6. Re: Coastal NW to Northern CA back via inland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:19