We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's better - Portland in October or May?

Ambler
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's better - Portland in October or May?

My fiancee are getting married in a few weeks and have decided on Portland, OR for our honeymoon. He was there years ago and loved it, this will be my first time visiting (also first time on the west coast as well). Now the only thing left is to figure out when to go, which we've narrowed down to either October or May. From what I've read, we'd get nicer weather in May, but my fiancee - who is a chef - thinks that the locally grown food will be more plentiful in October (this is big for him). So, any advice?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Both months can be fine, and both months can be rainy. There's no real prediction. I'm sort of partial to October myself, but others with have other ideas. Depending upon the duration of your stay, you should be able to have some fine days in either month.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Pacific NW weather is generally at its best from August to mid-October. May can still have some residual spring rainfall. Temperatures can be all over the map -- from daytime highs in the 50s to pushing 100. Late summer into early fall finds the weather/temperature patterns much more stable. You can almost always count on highs in the upper 70s to the 80s (we have had a few 90 days this summer) and very little rainfall. Most of Portland's 36 inches of rain annually fall from November to March -- and mostly nil from mid-July to mid-October.

That's just my observation based on 37 years living in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 02:00
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

I would opt for October. Earlier in the month is typically quite nice, but even later in the month is nice with all the fall stuff going on.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

I'll vote 'October', but mostly because I'm a huge fan of harvest-time, changing leaves, crisp/cool nights and the welcome return of rain. May is definitely a greener time of year (after 6 months of rain, it's of both the 'budding leaves' variety and the 'winter moss' variety) but it seems to be more often cool and grey in May than in October... At least that's my take after 14 years of living here!

If your guy likes the October bounty to satisfy his chef cravings, then I believe that tips the scale... Apples & pears, corn, squash, etc. plus wines and fresh-hop beers. Honestly, I can't wait for fall! :)

Cheers,

Brian

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Brian--You definitely expanded on the reasons I voted for October! Born and raised here, I love the fall, and yes, I love the rain and the short days as well. The fall is such an amazing time, IMO, and I get very excited for it:)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

These questions are "crazy-makers", since we all have anecdotal information and averages. I'm partial, along with the others, to October. Regardless of the weather, see the Columbia R. Gorge and Cannon Beach areas.

Best wishes!

www.usclimatedata.com/climate.php…

7. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 01:29
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Every Oregonian (including myself) will say "October", but here are the facts: average monthly precipitation in May is 2.47, vs. 3.00 in October. Average "percent possible sunshine" is 52% in May, 44% in October, but average days with precipitation is 13.6 in May vs. 12.5 in October. This is NOAA climate data stretching back to I-don't-know-when.

My judgement is that the first half of October is, if not "safe", then more likely to be nice. Every year fall settles in a different time. May is totally random, if on average somewhat better. But I have no numbers to back that up. The numbers are above, and don't lie, it's all in how you read them.

9. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 15:10
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Half-Brit--I disagree. Being born here simple means that from day one I was taken out in the rain and we never let the rain deter us from doing things. When people move here, especially from sunny areas, it normally takes them a while to adjust to it.