We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willamette wineries to visit?

1 post
Save Topic
Willamette wineries to visit?

Fellow TripAdvisors,

I apologize about the length of the post, but it's my first, so here goes. My girlfriend and I, a long with another couple, will be visiting the Willamette Valley during our trip to Portland. I am looking for any and all recommendations on wineries that we MUST visit while we are out there. We will only have a single day to visit wineries, so we definitely want to make it count!

If you know of any wineries with a spectacular view, amazing wines, or even just great people running the place, that would be helpful! We are definitely more interested in the smaller, family run wineries, as opposed to the larger ones.

Here are a few that I have picked out, but obviously this list will have to be narrowed down to just a few. Of these wineries, I have either had their wine and enjoyed it, or read good things about the winery online. If any of the following are must visits, or if you know of another one, please pass it along!

Lenné

Anne Amie

The Four Graces

Langhe

Le Cadeau

Crumbled Rock

Penner Ash

St. Innocent

White Rose

Thanks a ton!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

St. Innocent has been one of our top favorites since the early '90s. Definitely worth a visit (It's down fairly close to Salem). Along the 99W corridor, in the Ribbon Ridge area NW of Newberg, I'd highly recommend Brick House and Trisaetum. I've heard many good things about White Rose, but sadly have not yet visited them or even tasted their wines. I plan to remedy that very soon, however!

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

Domaine Drouhin has beautiful views and wines and a nice outdoor patio. :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

In the Ribbon Ridge area, my two favorites are Brick House and Arbor Brook. In Dayton I really like Seufert. All of these are small production, and have great people there. For views, another to consider is Stoller. Their new tasting room looks out onto the huge vineyard that used to be a turkey farm( OR used to have a ton of those).

Not sure if you are open to taking a tour, but if so take a look at www.anoseforwine.com as Fred and Marie are fabulous! They like to get you to the smaller places, and are so informative and fun.

If you drive yourselves, be sure to have a designated driver. The police have a very heavy presence around here for both DUI as well as speeding as the speed limit goes back and forth between 25 and 55 quite often and people don't always notice until too late. Also, quite a few red light cameras in this area. I live in this area, so hear the stories so often. Don't want to scare you, but just make you aware:)

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

We were in Portland a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the wines and the experience at Sokol-Blosser in the Dundee Hills region. They have a brand new tasting facility. If you can do the Library tasting room, I would highly recommend that. They offer flight tastings of several block vineyard wines that you cannot buy commercially, and they have a very experienced wine steward to guide you through the experience.

If you get a chance, I'd also suggest Winderlea Vineyards. Tremendous view and great wines. They have a very small production, so this will be your best chance to taste their wines.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

Have to admit.... I've lived around Portland since before David Lett of Eyrie Vineyards put Oregon on the world's wine map, and have been visiting Willamette Valley wineries for 35+ years, but have never heard of Lenné, Langhe (unless you mean Lange), Le Cadeau, or Crumbled Rock. Of the others, unless you're going for winery and views, I'd scratch Anne Amie. I'd also scratch St. Innocent, not because of the wine or winery, but because it's located near Salem, whereas most (all?) of the rest are located 20+ miles north.

If I were you, I'd visit a couple wineries in the Dundee - Dayton area (from your list, White Rose and Four Graces), have lunch at one of the several good choices in Dundee, then take NE Worden Hill Road over to the Ribbon Ridge area, where you could taste at Penner Ash and/or others recommended here. Brick House still requires an appointment, but Trisaetum and Arbor Brook are also good choices, and I'd add Bergstrom to that mix.

Oh, and when you're on Worden Hill Road, Winderlea. Yeah, I agree with TravelerKC; love that place too.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 17:21
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

I just met a lady today that works at several wineries on weekends. Her favorites are: VINDON in Newberg,CRUMBLE ROCK , FOUR GRACES,DOBBES,(TORI MOR, ARAMENTA<LANGE these are my favorites) in Dundee. You can google'em and get the addresses. Be sure to ask how much are the tasting fees. Most of them will wave them if you buy at least a bottle of their most expensive wine. Ask first before you drink if you don't agree just walk away. I always call. Enjoy.

7. Re: Willamette wineries to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:21