We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in portland with RV

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in portland with RV

We are planning on going through Portland with our RV en route to California. Any suggestions on where we could camp and get transit link to city centre to an easy day/evening to see the city?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

There are several RV parks around Portland. If you click on the blue link below, you will see a list of them, including their websites and/or TripAdvisor reviews for further information:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22663-Portland…

Number 1 and number 4 are the closest to a MAX lightrail station, but not within walking distance. Are you towing a trailer or do you have a dinghy with a motorhome?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

Be careful with that list as there is at least one that hasn't even been in business in quite a while.

I am not an RV person, but I do live in the area. There is one in Tualatin on hwy 99 called Roamer's Rest and it is a very short drive to a WES station at the Haagen Foods. Take the WES and transfer to the Max to get into downtown Portland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

Oh THNKS SO MUCH for reading that list, Mngrl!

I did notice that I hadn't updated it since 2010, so I will check all of them to see if your statement above is correct - you NOT being an RVer and all :-)

Fosie, I've stayed in nearly all the RV parks around Portland. We've been RVing in Oregon and the west for over 20 years :-)

Note my comments about Roamer's Rest -- "Heavy traffic/congestion on frontage road (Hwy 99). Somewhat narrow sites, limited facilities." Yes, we've stayed there.

4. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 14:49
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

Fosie, I just checked and updated my list. It appears that the "RV Park of Portland" did close in 2012. Shame, as we rather liked that one as it had great big trees all around it and the folks were very nice, although it was quite old. Lots of stuff got all built up around it - you know, that's what happens in cities - and I guess the land was worth more for apartments for those city dwellers :-(

We often stay in Jantzen Beach.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

half-brit--Our family had a home near there many years ago, way before the RV park was there. So you could also say that the RV park built up the area, lol!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

p.s. (ran out of edit time)

Fosie, I'd be glad to let you know our favourite RV parks in Oregon and California :-)

Are you heading straight down I-5 or planning to drive some of the coast? How far south are you going?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

We're planning on doing some wineries in and around Sacramento - we did Lodi last time we visited. Then on to either San Diego or inland to the Salton Sea where we've stayed before

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

Thank you for your help. I'll check out your list. We won't have a car or any other form of transport though other than the RV so walking distance to transport would be helpful!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in portland with RV

If the other places do not pan out for whatever reason, the parking lot at Haagen is plenty big to park your RV there. It is in a strip mall with a large lot and there are places big enough to park.