We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping & Mailing

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st louis
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping & Mailing

Will be shopping & want to mail back home.

Has anyone done this? Ideas welcome!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping & Mailing

We did while we were in Hawaii and it's lots cheaper and easier than luggage! make use to get boxes if you can for whatever you buy. They are very expensive at the post office. Ask at the post office which kind of shipping to use. First class is expensive.

Best

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping & Mailing

1. I've shipped quite a few boxes Priority Mail in recent months and found the rates to be almost the same as what used to be called Parcel Post; or just a few cents more expensive. I've used my own boxes, but Priority Mail boxes are free with USPS and offer the additional benefit of, as the commercials say, "if it fits, it ships,"

2. I would also check with the front desk at your hotel to see what shipping arrangements they have with USPS, UPS and FedEx. They probably have pickups and deliveries all the time.

3. Also check with the store about shipping. I've had mixed results on this score, with sometimes paying too much for shipping or not getting the item for a month or more, meaning it just sat in the store all that time.

4. For any really big items (statues, large canvases, etc.), definitely discuss shipping by seller/store before buying...and certainly negotiate the shipping into the price while bargaining.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping & Mailing

I shipped a box home from Alaska. It was fairly heavy and about 18"x18". As it turned out, shipping it as the 2nd piece of luggage on the airplane was quite a bit cheaper than either USPS or UPS!

Something to consider :-)

4. Re: Shopping & Mailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:20