We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike & Wine

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
21 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Hike & Wine

Is there an outfitter of guide that can lead a group on hiking trails from winery to winery? I would like a van to support the group to load purchases and/or hikers tired of hiking. I would be based in McMinnville for this group. Looking for a day trip - one or two days in the area.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike & Wine

I thought someone would know. (OR maybe they do and didn't see this.) Sorry it took so long to get an answer.

The best I can give you is in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. In White Salmon they have wine tours from the Inn at White Salmon. We have a lot of award winning wines such as Sangiovese Emma from Marchesi Vineyards in Hood River.

Plus, you can find great hikes at www.nwhker.com where you can see snippets of the trail before deciding. Try Beacon Rock for instance. One of the worlds only extinct volcanos that you can climb. It is switchback but ahh the view from the top.. If you need information about the hikes there let us know or play around with nwhiker.

I don't think they took down the website during the shutdown.

Get more information if you are interested by looking at the top of the Oregon Forum page.

Best,

MrsO

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
21 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike & Wine

I appreciate the input. I was there in 2012 and thought I had seen a promo-flyer on guided trips. But I have never been able to locate a specific guide service. I looked in the Oregon Forums and others, finding a note in McMinnville forum that no hiking exists in the immediate area; but several hikes are a short drive away. I am not giving up hope.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike & Wine

http://www.chemeketans.org/index.asp

I don't know any such taste and hike tour companies or guides, but perhaps you can contact the Chemeketans in Salem and see if you can either join one of their scheduled outings or arrange for them to put together a specially designed program for you with experienced hiking leaders.

I've been on Obsididan hikes up the central coast that hopscotched from one short beach trail to another, stopping at art galleries inbetween. Maybe the Chemeketans can do that with wineries.

They will know all the trails in the area (see their activity schedule) and might find such a program interesting.

www.nwhiker.com will not be of much use to you since it doesn't include most trails outside of the national forests or Columbia Gorge. What you will be looking for would probably be urban trails, county and city parks and "creative" hiking routes. The local chambers of commerce and/or visitor bureaus might also be able to give you some local names to contact.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike & Wine

I was just idly looking around the internet for you (raining outside at the moment!) and found this website. I see most of the groups are based in Portland but if you contacted them surely somebody would know about "winery hikes"?

hiking.meetup.com/cities/us/or/mcminnville/

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike & Wine

Now, if you said "walking tours" you find a different picture. I think you should Google it instead of having me type them out.. They are in the Willamette valley, but I inserted "Oregon walking wine tours" and briefly saw many.

Good luck. I hope that helps you..

.*snicker* maybe climbing too much... or would it be drinking too much**LOL

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike & Wine

http://tinyurl.com/qdx4hee

This NY Times article might offer a few ideas and contacts, although it's mostly looking at the southern Willamette Valley.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hike & Wine

As an avid hiker who lives in this area and visits the wineries often, here is my .02. Don't try to hike around here. There are a few small trails, but really that is it and you would mostly be walking along the shoulders on the roads. The last ink that Oregonpoppa posted is good and has some good ideas IMO, but I just don't think the so called hike in the area mentioned for the southern Willamette Valley is very pretty. I have been in that area a lot, and we often wander down to the Basket Slough. It is fine for a walk, but certainly not a hike, IMO.

Take a day to visit wineries and then another day to hike.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hike & Wine

This all started with even the OP doubting the probability of putting together a guided hike/taste tour. And it would appear we're back where we started. Oh, well...we tried.

By the way, there are lots of walking groups around in the cities...and outdoors organizations with hiking as their foundation activity. I'm not sure what the dividing line is between a walk and a hike, but I know it when I feel it.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hike & Wine

Oregonpoppa--I agree, it is something you just know:)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
21 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hike & Wine

Thanks to all! (No, that doesn't mean you can stop, now.) I have followed up on several suggestions. I had sent e-mail(s) to the Portland Hiking MeetUp in hopes of getting help. As a Nashville Hiking MeetUp leader, I anticipated quick responses; but as of yet, nothing. (It's been 3 weeks . . .) I sent another note to a Ladies hiking meetup group from Portland this evening. (no pressure, girls . . .) The best suggestion has been the change of search terms from hiking to walking. I have found a short but promising list of guides and have already sent e-mails. (fingers crossed . . .) I sit here with my Portland/Willamette/wine country maps and guides littering my desk - OK, and floor - still hoping something comes through. We may visit Bald Peak in Yamhill County, and the Baskett Slough - listed as part of a walk/hike with a guide in wine country. A big thanks again to you contributors. If you're heading to the Nashville area, drop me a note!

By the way - Oregon Poppa - LOVE the artwork on your icon.