We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Question

Austin, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Question

Hi! I am in the process of planning a Portland trip. It will be my husband and I to celebrate my 40th birthday at the end of January (I know, not the best time of year, but what are you going do!).

We will be visiting for 4 nights total: January 25-29th. I have a lot of Hilton points so I think we are most likely going to stay at the Embassy Suites downtown for 3 nights, but I think I would like to stay at the Kennedy School for one night. I have enough points for all four nights at the Embassy Suites, but a friend of mine told me about the Kennedy School a couple of years ago and I've been intrigued by it ever since.

My question is what night would be better to stay at the Kennedy School, Saturday night or Tuesday night. I am leaning towards Tuesday night, but I saw something about how there is a trivia event every Tuesday night. I'm not sure how that would impact our stay (do they take over the movie theater?).

Also, how accessible is the Kennedy School to public transportation? I'm not sure if we want to rent a car while we are there.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Question

Hi:

Yeah, I think Kennedy School for a night is a *great* idea, awesome place (my wife and I live around the corner and visit all the time)... You should probably opt for the Tuesday 1/28 night vs. Saturday and here's why:

- Tuesday trivia event ("Portland Geek Trivia") takes over the movie theater every OTHER Tuesday. They have their schedule posted on facebook through year's end... Looks like the first event of 2014 will be Tuesday, January 7th... meaning the next would be January 21st and the next after that on February 4th. You should be in luck!

- Saturdays can be packed at Kennedy and sometimes they have special events that draw crowds of non-hotel guests (dances, wedding receptions, movie festivals, etc)... the pubs, bars and gathering spaces may be full of people. Good energy? yes, but maybe not as relaxing as you'd want... or maybe you *do* want it crowded? Tuesdays will be much more mellow, especially midwinter.

- Sounds like you return home on Wed 1/29. Kennedy is halfway from downtown to the airport, only about a 10 minute drive. Spend your first 3 nights downtown then a final night at KS before heading to the airport.

Re: transit. There are 2 bus routes. Route #70 stops directly in front of KS, Route #72 runs along nearby Killingsworth and Alberta Streets and has a stop about 1 block south of KS. Both of these are "eastside only" routes, meaning you'd need to connect to another bus or MAX to get to downtown. Assuming you choose to stay at KS on Tuesday, I think renting a car for 1 day is a *much* better option --- you could rent one from a place in downtown (Hertz, Avis, Dollar, Enterprise have offices there) and use it Tuesday and return it at the airport on Wed. In the meantime, explore some neighborhoods, have dinner/breakfast at one of the many fine local restaurants/cafes nearby.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Edited: 15 October 2013, 16:57
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Question

I would stay at Embassy Suites for all four nights and take the time to visit the Kennedy School for lunch or dinner. It is a lovely site, but maybe not as comfortable for sleep as Embassy Suites. Whatever your choice, have a wonderful visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Question

I don't know. Staying at the Kennedy is a lot of fun -- each room is unique, some rooms even have chalkboards! And staying over allows you to see everything the Kennedy has to offer, including taking a dip in the soaking pool (it's heated so can be used in January), just be sure to bring your suits. Maybe also see a movie or have a drink in one of the bars.

4. Re: Hotel Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:19