We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighbourhoods

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
neighbourhoods

we are travelling to portland january 1-5th.

wondering what neighbourhood to stay in. we have a three year old and a 3 month old.

this trip is just a little get away, but we want to visit the children's museum and other attractions that the three year old may enjoy. we would like to be close to restaurants, so if one of us wants to go grab some take out its easy to do, as well as being close to a grocery store and coffee shop. we MIGHT get a rental car, but have heard that portlands public transit is superb, so if we can save money that would be great.

i have started looking at some VRBO accomodations in the downtown area...is this the ideal location for us??? i have also considered the holiday inn express in downtown portland as well.

any thoughts or input appreciated!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighbourhoods

The Pearl District has everything you're looking for: a couple grocery stores, coffee shops, bakeries, restaurants.... And the streetcar lines runs right through it.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: neighbourhoods

I agree, Downtown Portland where the big hotels are located and the Pearl District and Northwest.

The Louisa Apartment building has apts that are rented for holiday... http://www.thelouisa.com/

I lived there , you will love it ... no doubt about that. Call or email and ask about short term stays.

this is the address for the rental info

oakwood.com/furnished-apartments/furnished/U…

I believe the Holiday Inn express is not in a great location ..

Edited: 18 October 2013, 21:20
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighbourhoods

Yes, Downtown/Pearl District is probably your best bet however if you're looking for a more residential area, I like Laurelhurst (great restaurants and a cool second-run theatre). There are very few neighborhoods without restaurants (coffee shops, bars, shops etc.) in Portland. Unlike many cities, Portland has a good mix of residential and commercial zoning so people can shop and eat within their neighborhood.

Level Contributor
36,376 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neighbourhoods

The downtown area of Portland is very nice! You will be right in the heart of all the excitement and close to some excellent restaurants as well. Enjoy your visit! :)

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: neighbourhoods

thanks for everyones input.

im hoping to find a VRBO in these areas...downtown/pearl or laurelhurst. so if anyone knows of a good one, let me know!

i have also initiated contact with the Louisa apartments.

thank you!

6. Re: neighbourhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 06:20