We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving time

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orinda, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thanksgiving time

Who's got some cool ideas of things to do in the city of Portland during thanksgiving!!!>>>

Any soccer/hockey/arts/crafts

hikes???

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving time

Hi and welcome to TA.

We can help you with a little more information. Will you have a car or just be in Portland. Down town or outside the downtown core? alone or with a group?

There's lots to do and see here. Great hiking in the CRGNSA. (the gorge) almost frozen waterfalls and basalt cliffs. Japanese Garden and more.

Best

MrsO

Orinda, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving time

thank you!!! Just me and my HB! staying east of Wilamette River at nephew;s home. No car...just the rail line which works very well. Son live there. Hope to get to the Oneota Gorge.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving time

Jeanne a

Oneonta Gorge would be cold and semi frozen this time of year. It's a summer kind of place. I love the Gorge as much as anyone but I suggest you find something different to do.

I do not know of any way to get to the CRGNSA without a car unless you want a cab. It would be an expensive cab ride. There is no rail line to there either. (It is not technically Portland)

Do you like to hike? Hiking is popular in the CRGNSA.

Best

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving time

Looks like jeanne a's family members live around Portland, so they probably have a car for touring round. If the weather is cold & rainy, you can still drive out on the scenic old highway through the gorge and see some of the waterfalls from a nice warm car :-)

A lot of the Christmas lighting starts Thanksgiving weekend - the Grotto and/or Winter Wonderland at the raceway might be of interest.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving time

You can go to the zoo for Zoolights, which start that weekend, and you can take MAX there. It is a lot of fun! You can also hike in Forest Park if you don't have a car to get to the gorge. A popular one is the Wildwood trail, which you can take from near the zoo up to Pittock Mansion. If by chance the weather is clear, there are fantastic views from up there as well.

There is a huge Christmas Bazaar at the expo center, and again you can take MAX there. It is huge!

The Saturday Market (which is held Saturdays and Sundays) is a great place to find local, unique things. It is right in downtown, by the riverfront. It is outdoors, so dress warm.

Orinda, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving time

Thank you ALL!!!

but what is CRGNSA (hmmm, don't want to be dumb)

j

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving time

That is the acronym for the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving time

It has nothing to do with the holidays, but one of the things on my agenda for the next couple months is to visit the Samurai Exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. www.portlandartmuseum.org/special/samurai Maybe couple that with a visit to Portland Farmers Market, just a few blocks south. http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/ (I can hear you; "Farmers Market? In November????" Quite fun though if, as Mtngrl recommends, you dress for the weather.)

Edited: 04 November 2013, 23:20
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving time

Jeanne

You are not dumb. I am sorry that I used the initials instead of the name. Its one of our most visited attractions.

Click on the link and you can read about it.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving time

You are so helpful for that area, MrsO and it's so popular with visitors, I don't blame you for shortening the name! It gets to be a lot of typing to type out the full name each time ;-)