We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

Somerset, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

Has anyone driven from Lexington KY to Portland, OR? If so, what is the best route and about how long did it take? Will be heading out to visit family in the spring, so am thinking about doing the tourist thing along the way instead of flying out. We are retired, so we can take about 3 weeks if needed. thanks

Wildwood Adventures
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Secrets Of Portlandia Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Eat Adventures Food Tours
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Eco Tours of Oregon
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

I'm sure they have, Dianne. However, being new to TA, let me help you with some basics. You are posting on the Portland forum. This forum is for questions about Portland. You need to post on the roadtrip forum, and if you have specific questions about cities and areas in specific states along your journey, you yould post on that appropriate forum. Have fun with your research. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

Hi Dianne S and welcome to TripAdvisor.

You may also want to post on the Road Trips forum. There are several regular posters there who have traveled all around the USA by car numerous times and are very knowledgeable. You'll find it at the blue link below (and that is a good page to bookmark) , in the right hand column:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

--

As far as specifics, is the three weeks for one way or round trip? Earlier spring or later spring, as it may make a difference with mountain snow.

--

Edit- Okay so I'm a slow typist LOL ;-)

Edited: 15 November 2013, 23:59
Somerset, Kentucky
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

thanks to those who directed me to the roadtrips forum, will go there. Sorry for the wrong posting.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

It's not totally wrong, as after all part of your journey will be in Oregon! As you get your overall route firmed up please feel free to ask questions on the Oregon forum about what to see here :-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,288 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

If you are still reading here, yes, we have driven this, several times. Since you have a lot of time, you can really zigzag around a bit to see things. We did not have time (military moves) so did not have much time for that. You could take the southern route, but that is our least favorite. However, once you hit CA, then heading north there is a LOT to see and do on your way up here. Going across the middle route is not overly scenic, but we really enjoyed once we hit Colorado and then up to Idaho and over. The northern route is too far out of your way, IMO, and mid April can still be a bit iffy in spots as far as weather. However, if the weather is looking good it is a really pretty drive, IMO.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

I have driven this once before, but we took a bit of a detour and a couple of weeks to do it. We visited Detroit, Chicago, cut across Iowa and Nebraska to Denver, the on to Salt Lake, Bend, and home. It was a great trip. Saw a lot of baseball games.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

How are you doing on the cross country TA board? Our son was in Omaha 10 years so have made that trip a few times, though we flew most times.

Depending on when in Spring you may not be able to get some places. Going to Sun in Glacier will probably not be open. Hard to tell what may be open in Yellowstone. We went to Omaha one June and could get into Yellowstone. Montana or Wyoming TA might be good source.. Some of Colorado may not be open yet. Southern route NM AZ likely to be more open

I-80 through WY will be open but boring. I-70 and I-90 more interesting routes

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

We drove to Portland from Jacksonville Florida with a Standard Poodle.

We all had a great time and we were all quite happy to arrive in Portland ... it was just enough car time for everyone :)

It is a wonderful way to see this amazing country, driving across it ..

Edited: 18 November 2013, 22:40
9. Re: Driving from KY to Portland, OR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20