We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Portland in winter

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
American Canyon...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel Portland in winter

Hi, can anyone recommend places to visit in Portland, we will be in Portland from Christmas until New Year! So we have plenty of time to cover shopping , sight seeing or any outdoor activities.Also, which location would be ideal to stay in Portland for the winter?We plan to book a budget hotel or motel.Hopefully somewhere that is convenient to get public transport.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. It's easier to make suggestions if you state your lodging budget, such as "under $___" since definitions of 'reasonable' or 'budget' can vary a lot!

Will you have a vehicle?

Are you interested in "Christmas season" types of attractions, or museums, or? Shopping - no sales tax in Oregon :-)

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Get a hotel in downtown Portland or in the Nob Hill area. Inn @ Northrup Station is one to check out there. :).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Agree with SyrahGirl. Inn at Northrup Station is a good place to be; on the streetcar line, in a pedestrian friendly neighborhood, lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance and easy public transport to almost anywhere in the city. Welcome and have fun!

Edited: 23 November 2013, 19:10
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Portland in winter

You will likely prefer the downtown area to NW, but the "budget" designation may change things. The Doubletree by Lloyd Center is nice, and is showing only $74/night for those dates. It is right on the MAX line, but not in downtown. There are some very cheap places by PSU (EconoLodge, etc) but they are very, very basic accommodations.

I continue to be befuddled as to why some posters here view the Inn@Northrup as a "one size fits all" solution, as a quick check reveals that their best rate for your dates is $164/night.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Although the OP has not stated their price range, I agree that to me, $164 is not "budget" lodging ;-)

The Lloyd Center Doubletree gets very good overall reviews. Click on the blue link to read them, szeynx:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52024-d96138-R…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Portland in winter

I think it's the savings on parking and easy access (walking or otherwise) that makes Northrup Station a plus. That said, there are other great places to stay in Portland!

American Canyon...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Portland in winter

My budget for accomodation will be around $80 per night,i dont have a car and am unable to rent one either.thank you for the suggestions.Can you suggest some destinations to check out in portland or near portland? i love outdoors but I am not sure where I can visit in the month of december.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Take a look at the McMenamins Crystal Hotel. It is right smack in downtown and comes in right near your budget. You cannot beat the price for the location, IMO. McMenamin properties are a lot of fun to stay at IMO, but are not for everyone. They have a few rooms with private baths, but the majority of rooms have shared baths. That said, in our personal experience at almost every McMenamins, we have never had an issue with this. Never any waits, cleanliness was top notch, etc. Anyway, this is an option that fits what you want for location and price, so check their website and see if it fits your style, and enjoy your trip:)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,588 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Portland in winter

Some McMenamins Properties even have hostel rooms in. They are old historical buildings that the brothers have revamped into destination hotels.

Best

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Portland in winter

The downtown Value Inn is listing $55 nights in December, and there are numerous places you can stay near the airport, if you don't mind the MAX (light rail) ride into town (about 30 mins).

In any case, you'll find the public transportation in the city pretty good, if you have a smartphone and can use either the Tri-Met Transit Tracker or Google Maps.

Please to go include the Japanese Gardens (limited hours in winter), hikes in Forest Park (wet, cold) and the Arboretum, pubs, and lots of great music and performance (think contemporary circus). Look at www.wweek.com (Williamette Week) for listings. There are bike tours of the city (don't know if they run in December), Portland Saturday Market, and many other things to do.

There are various buses (not public, but private ski buses) up to Mt. Hood, which can be a fun day, even if you don't ski -- with the right clothes, you can go tubing, or you can just sit in Timberline Lodge and soak up the ambience.

There's a bus to Astoria, but it take a long time.