We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

I am visiting portland the end of sept, couples in their 50's.

We are planning 2-3 nights.

Wants the best neighborhood, for sites, walking and good food.

We are looking at vacation rentals.

Any information would greatly be aprreciated.

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

The answer might be different if you plan to rent a car. But this is like asking what is the best neighborhood in New York or London or Paris to be in -- there are as many answers as people.

Downtown (SW Portland, from the river to about 10th St, and from Burnside south to Portland State University) offers the widest array of restaurants, bars, etc, packed most densely. I don't know how many VRBO or AirBNB places are downtown (though there might be some).

That said, the trendier restaurants are in The Pearl (NW Portland from about NW Broadway to I-405), and the balance of NW Portland (sometimes oddly called "Nob Hill" -- NW 14th to 25th from Burnside to Vaughn) is more residential, with a couple of nice shopping streets thrown in.

Less expensive and more hipster places include SE Hawthorne, NE Alberta/Killingsworth, and several others. These are all nice in varying degrees, and each boasts some really excellent restaurants. They tend to be surrounded by dense residential areas.

This is far from an exhaustive list, but I think most people would recommend that an older couple (hey, I've been in my 50s for some time!) stay downtown on their first visit. If food is the primary decision point, stay near NE 30th & Killingsworth, which has Beast, DOC, and some other restaurant gems. But YMMV.

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

The Nob Hill area of Portland is another area to consider. :).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

It really depends on your bidget. The Pearl would be a great place to stay. I prefer some of the more casual neighborhoods on the east side that have great neighborhoods but without knowing what type of neighborhood you enjoy, it is tough making a recommendation. Portland is very neighborhood centric than any other city I have been in.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

"Portland is more neighbourhood centric than any other city I've been to " , really ? thats interesting , how so ?

Edited: 27 January 2014, 19:16
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

Within a few miles, there are many different neighborhoods that all have their own personality. Most of them are within a few of miles of downtown Portland. Here is a list of a few but not a complete list, just what comes to mind:

The Pearl District

Nob Hill/ABC/23rd

Old Town/China Town

Hawthorne

Belmont

Division

Albert Arts

Mississippi

Industrial/Inner East Burnside

Beaumont/Wilshire

Irvington

Laurelhurst

Ladd's Addition

University Park

Kenton

Arbor Lodge

St Johns

Goose Hollow

Mt Tabor

In many cities, there are different neighborhoods but much further apart. In Portland, you could walk through several different neighborhoods within a few miles and each neighborhood has its own vibe, usually a local coffee shop, bars, restaurants, etc.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

I guess thats easy to not notice as a tourist when spending most time downtown

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

There is so much more to Portland than just the downtown area, Dan. I recommend you cross the river and explore a few of the close in neighborhoods on the east side. Even just crossing over the Burnside Bridge and exploring the area between 6th and 12th would be a great experience! Visit Burnside Brewery, Ron Tom's, Noble Rot to start! There are great restaurants and bars, most of them locally owned. Many of the places in the downtown area are chains, although there are some good locally owned places as well.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

Ya I know I stayed on Lower Burnside a block away from the brewery , and managed to get out to Pok Pok as well as Hawthorne and Belmont , and checked out the Pearl and Alphabet but didn't realize the city had so .many neighbourhoods all with different flavour, good to know though

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

Great to hear you got out to explore some of our neighborhoods! On your next visit, consider the Mississippi neighborhood. Gravy is my favorite breakfast/lunch spot in all of Portland!

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sept visit to portland best neighborhood to stay

The next trip will be more beer centric so I figure I'll need a good brekkie for the healing process

Edited: 27 January 2014, 23:41