We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Topic
Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

Hello,

Taking my gf downhill skiing for the first time while visiting Portland. 2 days of skiing planned for mid-march. Staying in the area of Timberline Lodge and Mt. Hood on the 17th. A few questions:

#1-- One day at Mt. Hood, and one day at Timberline? Good idea? Bad idea?

#2-- Which Mountain will be better for her first day "getting use to it"?

#3-- We'll want to go to some cool craft beer bars at night, so we'll want to get a hotel near those bars. Is there a certain area where we should stay? We'd rather stay closer to the bars, and drive a little more to get to the mountain.

#4-- Do these two mountains typically offer spring skiing discounts or other reasons to not pay full price online?

Budget-- Inexpensive lodging. We're just sleeping there...

Likes-- Craft beer, young nightlife (late 20's)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

For first time skiers, I would pass on Timberline. You would have a much better experience at Meadows.

Timberline Lodge itself is fine, but if you want to mingle etc I would opt for Government Camp instead. Mt. Hood Inn is not expensive and there is a good pub next door at the Mt Hood Brewing Co. Plus plenty of others on that road that you can walk to.

If you want an even cheaper place to stay look at Huckleberry Inn. I have not stayed here so can't vouch for the lodging like I can with Mt Hood Inn, but the restaurant is our favorite in the area. It is always busy and very popular after a day on the mountain.

As for spring skiing discounts, much will depend on how much snow there is. It has been a really weird winter so I would call closer to when you visit and see.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

You may be a little confused or perhaps I am. ;-) Mt Hood and Timberline are not separate mountains. Mt Hood is the mountain. Timberline is an area to ski and so is Mt Hood Meadows. Ski Bowl is closer to Portland and at a lower elevation so the snow can be much different than higher up.

Government Camp is a very fun area to go for drinks after skiing. Very festive atmosphere with people jazzed up about their day of skiing and ready to drink some beers.

I stayed at Huckleberry Inn many, many years ago and it was fine for getting up to ski the next day but that was 20 years ago.

As for discount passes, they come up very rarely on sites like groupon so you might want to sign up for groupon Portland. No need to buy in advance on line. Just buy when you arrive. I know Ski Bowl used to have cheap night skiing but I haven't been down hill skiing for years so you will have to check on line.

If this is her first time skiing, you may want to look into the Buttercup pass at Meadows. Or an evening pass. Or splurge for a lesson for her. It will make her day more enjoyable if she can learn the basics from a pro.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

So yes, Mt. Hood Meadows (if people are using a nickname, they usually call it Meadows) and Timberline. Both on Mount Hood. (Ski Bowl and Cooper Spur are also ski areas on Mount Hood, but perhaps you have already rejected those?)

It sounds like you have lodging already planned, but if not, you should know that you can't actually stay at Meadows - the lodge there is just a daytime thing.

The best experience might depend on who your girlfriend is. Meadows (in my rather dated experience) has a lot of super-youthful energy and all that entails, such as pounding music. Timberline has the elegant/historic feel of the lodge, and maybe a higher proportion of skiers? ( Although Timberline in summer is also the hangout for a lot of elite athletes who train on Palmer Glacier in the summer.) Ski Bowl has lower prices and lots of families. A lot of people learn to ski there. Cooper Spur has a more quiet rustic retro feel, but the hard core probably wouldn't go there just because the terrain is more for the beginner-to-middle kind of skier. If you are looking for lessons from a pro, Meadows has a reputation for very good instructors. I would rather learn from an instructor than from someone I know.

In terms of discounts, I heard that people who booked a stay at Cooper Spur were getting discounts to Meadows (same owners, I think) just because there has been a pitiful amount of snow at the lower elevations. However, given the weekend we just had, I wouldn't count on that anymore. Who knows what March will look like.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Hood
Mount Hood
486 Reviews
Hood River, OR
USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

On re-reading, I see you don't have your lodging. You might even want to stay in lovely Hood River, which is both sport-y and beer-y. gorgeinthegorge.com/drink/…

Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

Hood River would be a bit of a drive and you would have to drive back there. Parkdale is closer and there is a bed and breakfast but it doesn't sound like your style. You should give Government Camp a chance for lodging.

Best

MrsO

Mentioned in this post
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

"We'd rather stay closer to the bars, and drive a little more to get to the mountain. "

Given the fact that you said you are interested in nightlife and breweries and don't mind a drive, I think Hood River would be an excellent choice as well. It is about 45 minutes drive but has some great breweries including Double Mountain, Pfriem and Full Sail. Really beautiful town on the Columbia River that is famous for windsurfing and kiting. A lot of young outdoor enthusiasts live in this town so a fun crowd, too.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

Youthful and energetic it is. Seems like Government Camp and Meadows is the way to go. Probably stop by Full Sail on the way to or from the skiing (one of us will be the d.d.). She's run marathons and I've taught her to road bike on busy Florida streets... so I don't THINK she'll need lessons beyond the basics I'll show her on the bunny slope--but it's nice to know that she can get a good lesson at Meadows if needed.

Hood River is a little too far away (I know I said driving a little farther was OK... I guess its just relative since there are 3 walmarts within 20 minutes of my place in Florida. Government camp looks fun, brewing companies are compelling reasons to stay somewhere for us.

ALSO, thanks for the tip on calling it "Meadows"--I'll appear a little less like a tourist!

Thank you everyone! Hope this helps people in the future too...

Andy

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Mt. Hood / Timberline night life.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:20