We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best walking area in Portland?

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best walking area in Portland?

I'm going to be staying in Portland for a weekend at the beginning of April. I'm just wondering what people think is the best walking area that's close to the downtown area? Bars, restaurants, shops, arts, quirky things, etc. Any ideas? Cheers.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

Most of Portland is very pedestrian friendly. If you would like to stay in a VRBO on Airbnb, you will be able to stay in some great neighborhoods. Check out places close to Mississippi, Alberta Arts District, Belmont, Hawthorne or Division. Really cool neighborhoods all over Portland.

Less quirky and more swanky is The Pearl District.

Portland has many, many parks. The Tom McCall Waterfront Park stretches along the river and is easy to walk to from just about any hotel in Portland. Downtown is going to have the majority of the hotels.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

Thanks for the response. I'm actually staying at the downtown Hilton. Just looking for suggestions on a specific neighborhood to check out that has what I'm looking for and isn't too far from the downtown core. Although anything with train access is cool too. Can't wait to check PDX out again. It's been awhile.

Also, can anyone suggest a couple can't miss food carts that are open on a Sunday??!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

Unfortunately, the 10th and Alder food cart pod isn't great on Sundays, a lot of carts are closed that day. I would suggest the Good Food Here pod on Belmont -- most carts are open on a Sunday and it has a lot of selection. Easily accessible via a 20 minutes bus ride from downtown.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

Oh cool. Thanks. I'll have a car too. Is that SE Belmont Street across the bridge? What's the cross street? Thanks.

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

The Nob Hill and Hawthorne areas are pretty cool. Check out Pho Van in the Hawthorne area for some great food. :).

Edited: 07 March 2014, 15:18
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

Good Food Here is at SE Belmont and SE 43rd. Website with cart descriptions http://www.goodfoodherebelmont.com/

I personally love Herb's Mac and Cheese

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

If you want a very cool neighborhood near Portland, take the bus to Mississippi area. The bus system will take you to the best areas to wander. Just download the pdxbus app or use www.trimet.org and punch in your starting and end point and you are set.

Or head up Hawthorne to 12th by bus and walk through Ladd's Addition. This is a very cool neighborhood that is different than any other. Beautiful residential homes and a rose garden in the middle. I often go walking in this neighborhood and then grab lunch nearby - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladd%27s_Addition

After that walk, you may want to grab a bite to eat at a fabulous new little restaurant called Teote. It is inexpensive, casual and cozy. You order downstairs and then they deliver. Make sure to sit upstairs or on the amazing patio. I LOVE this new place! http://www.teotepdx.com/ After lunch you can continue your walk up Hawthorne and discover so many cool shops and bars along the way.

Enjoy your return to Portland!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

You might also like Viking Soul Food in the same area. Voted one of the best food carts in the US by the Smithsonian Magazine. They're now doing weekend brunch (11 to 2) http://www.vikingsoulfood.com/brunch/

9. Re: Best walking area in Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:18