We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Hello - We're taking a family trip to the Oregon Coast the first week of June and are spending our first night in downtown Portland. My plan is to wake up early, and head to Columbia River Highway straight away after breakfast. We are wanting to take the scenic route on Historic Columbia River Hwy 30 and hope to start the scenic route by 9:30 am.

Our plan is to see the some of the waterfalls, stop at Crown Point and of course to Multnomah Falls, and whatever waterfalls are close to the scenic look-outs (no serious hiking but we would like to do some minimal hiking/exploring). My question is this: We will be spending the night at Cannon Beach after our sightseeing of the falls, and it appears that Cannon Beach is about 2 hours from Troutdale. Is this an unrealistic itinerary? Does this seem too busy of a day to see the Falls and then afterwards, drive the 2 hours to Cannon Beach?

From what I read, the Gorge is stunning scenery, and I don't want to miss seeing it. I just hope I'm not planning a too-busy day for my family by touring the falls and then driving 2 hours to Cannon Beach. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank You,

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Yes, from Troutdale to CB is right around 2 hours. You would have plenty of time to explore the gorge and be back on the freeway and headed west before rush hour. From downtown Portland on hwy 26 headed west towards the coast, that is a busy commute route unitl about Hillsboro. If you head out before about 4pm or so, you should be fine. Otherwise it will just be slow tip Hillsboro, and then after that typically clear.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

I would highly recommend getting out of Troutdale by at least 4pm(3:30 might be better). If you find your are running late(say after 5pm), I would consider just having dinner in Troutdale and waiting until later before venturing out. You could stop by Edgefield a unique Oregon experience...

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,475 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Hi there,

I have volunteered in the CRGNSA for years and have found most visitors kick themselves for not spending more time in this magnificent area.

I don't think you have enough time here.

I would suggest a night somewhere near Hood River. (or across in Washington, also a part of the National Scenic Area.)

I might add that you can go up to MtHood and across to Damascus and miss the busy Portland interchanges on 212 to 205..

Kind regards,

MrsO

Edited: 12 March 2014, 15:51
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Much (or maybe all?) of what you're interested in is within a 10 - 12 mile section of road - columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r… - so I'd agree that what you're planning is easily doable, especially if it's oriented mostly just to scenery. And if your kids are like mine were (and still are), it won't be more than a couple hours before they're saying they want to go to the beach. ;-)

You could even give yourselves a bit of a head start on the day by staying out near the airport instead of downtown, unless that first night is the only one you've planned for Portland. You've already got reservations for Cannon Beach?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,475 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Thru,

my kids always wanted to get into the waterfalls. Everyone went to the beach.

m

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your feedback. Thrumylens, yes, I have reserved three nights at the Hallmark Resort in Cannon Beach, then another 2 nights in Newport. Our first night in Portland we wil be staying at Inn at Nortrup Station. I'm also trying to figure out what is within walking distance of that area, for a neat evening stroll and dinner plans for our first night.

The planning is getting easier, thanks to all the experts on this Forum! I am thinking that our first morning in Cannon Beach, that we'd hit Ecola State Park after breakfast. Very very excited for this trip. The Oregon Coast looks like a dream. Again, thanks so much for all the tips, I greatly appreciate every one of them!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Sounds like you have some great plans in place:)

The area around the Inn at Northrup Station is great. It is the NW District, and basically NW 21st and NW 23rd streets are lined with shops and restaurants. Plus is is not far from the zoo and the Japanese and the Rose gardens. You can easily walk to the Pearl District and the waterfront as well, but if you don't feel like walking you can take the streetcar. So basically, it is really easy to get around from where you will be.

May I make a suggestion for breakfast in Cannon Beach? The Lazy Susan is really good! Cash only though, and they do get busy so you may have to wait, but it is worth it. Heading up to Ecola State Park afterward would make for a nice day.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

Mtngrl - thank you so much! I actually have been checking on restaurants in Cannon Beach, so glad you mentioned this. Also, quick question. Our first night in Cannon Beach will be our son's 17th birthday. We will arrive later, as mentioned above, after our Columbia Gorge sightseeing, I'm guessing we will arrive in Cannon Beach around 6:00pm? Where would you suggest a fun place to eat for his birthday. I was wondering if Mo's might be a good pick?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

SallyLuu--This is tough. I really dislike Mo's and try to steer people away from it most of the time. That said, for a 17 yr old they will probably love it. The views are the best thing going for it, but for a bowl of chowder and some bread, it is fine. Just not as good as it was many years ago, but of course that doesn't pertain to a visitor:) Our kids are just a few years older than that, and places that they have liked are the Wayfarer, Ecola Seafood Market(it is a restaurant as well), and the Lumberyard. The Wayfarer is the restaurant at the Surfsand Resort. It has views out to Haystack Rock, good food, and entrees around $20. Ecola Seafoods is a seafood market and restaurant a block off the main drag, so no views and no atmosphere, but great for doing takeaway, especially if your room has a view. The Lumberyard does not have views either, but the do have a nice outdoor patio area (with heaters, which will most likely be needed in June) and have a good menu. There are also pizza places in town, but IMO they are not very good. Oh, there is also Bills Tavern, which has good fish n chips. Minors are allowed on one side. It is on the main drag, but no views, but good food and of course you can have a pint;)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeframe Question - Columbia Gorge to Cannon Beach

MTN Girl - Gosh you're filled with such great info. I hope you don't mind I messaged you with a couple questions. Thanks everyone for all the great help!