We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Portland

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Portland

I have one full day to explore Portland/area. I enjoy hiking- mountains, beach, wildlife, etc. I'm going to rent a car- recommendations? Any chance I can fit all in in one day? I'll have another evening to spend exploring the city itself- any must sees in the city? Thanks for the help.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Portland

Not possible to see the Cascades and beach in one day- one is east and one is west of town. Not sure when you are coming, but might make a difference. Would recommend going to the beach if you've never been to the coast before. Drive out on hwy 26 to cannon beach drive south on 101 to Tillamook and head inland on hwy 6. its a good day trip and lots of sites to see

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Portland

If you haven't been to the Pacific Ocean, I think the beach is a must. Nice day trip just 90 minutes west of Portland and some good hiking near Cannon Beach or just walk for miles. Stunning coastline!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Portland

What do you like to do? Portland has quite a few attractions, but do you prefer museums or bookstores or boat rides or gardens or . . . ?

Here is a long list:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52024-Activitie…

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Portland

With just one day, there is alot to see/do right in Portland. Tom McCalll Waterfront Park, Washington Park, downtown Portland, Nob Hill, etc. For some beautiful views of the city at night, go to Portland City Grill or Departure Lounge @ the top of The Nines Hotel. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Portland

My must-sees are usually sites/attractions/activities that are generally unique to that city/destination. In Portland, I'd include the International Test Rose Garden and Powell's City of Books in that category, though you won't see a lot of roses blooming before May. Another thing I might put in the must-see/experience category is the city's diverse dining scene, including food carts, brewpubs, wine bars, and fabulous restaurants.

That said, what's more unique about Portland is that it's located within just a short drive of the ocean, mountains, the Columbia River gorge, high desert... as Chinookgrrl said, too much to cover in one day. But I don't think a few hours in the Columbia River gorge and an afternoon at the coast are out of the question.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Portland

If you only have a full day and another evening (reading this right?), then I would agree that a trip to the beach would be your best bet. Cannon Beach is pretty, but touristy and expensive. The drive from Cannon Beach to Tillamook is not that scenic and really only the cheese factory to explore in Tillamook (your from Wisconsin, cheese probably isn't high on you list).

I would recommend driving from Portland to Lincoln City, go I-5 to Salem, cut thru Salem to get to beach, second half is thru Willamette area, can be beautiful after you get out of Salem (just follow Ocean Beaches signs to Lincoln City). Stop at Cape Fair Weather south of Lincoln City and follow the Otter Crest Trail for rugged beauty. Link back up to 101 South and drive down to Florence. Lots of parks and spots on 101 to picnic, play on beach, beach comb. Turn around in Florence and return to Portland. Long day, but doable (especially if its not a weekend or bad weather).

For the evening ....recommend Powells Bookstore visit and cruise around downtown until you find something that tickles your fancy.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Portland

Consider taking I-84 up to the Bridge of the Gods, cross it, and have an early breakfast at Skamania Lodge. That will give you some time in the Gorge. Then zoom on back down 84 to where it meets with I-5. Go south until you see signs for the beach. Head on over to Seaside. Not the most perfect place to view the Oregon coast, but you are working with limited time. Have lunch, then mosey on back to Portland with a nice dinner in one of our incredible restaurants. Have fun!

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Portland

Wow- thanks everyone for the suggestions. After reading the posts and doing some research I think I am going to head to the coast. Any tips on where I can see some wildlife? I saw some mention of seals, sea lions, etc.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Portland

You can usually see sea lions in Astoria at the East Basin, by 36th Street.

There are a couple of loops you can take to see Astoria, Cannon Beach and on south to Tillamook. I wouldn't go farther south on a day trip as you'll find lots of places you'll want to stop and explore just in the far NW section of Oregon!

You'll probably enjoy visiting Ecola State Park and Hug Point.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Portland

Yes- plenty of cheese here at home. Any tips on seeing wildlife along the way?