We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday in Portland

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday in Portland

My wife and I are heading up to PDX in a few weeks for a quick weekend and it happens to be her birthday. We arrive in the evening on her birthday and are staying at the Embassy Suites and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on bakeries that might be able to deliver a cake to the hotel, and also if there were any ideas on a restaurant nearby that does takeout, but also isn't your garden variety "casual dining" place. We have an 11 month old so we are sort of shackled to the hotel in the evening!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday in Portland

do not be afraid to take your kid out to dinner in Portland. lots of places are kid-friendly.

grubhub.com is a central place to look at delivery options.

consider Voodoo Donuts instead of a cake - very close by and an eclectic taste of portland.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday in Portland

For absolutely scrumptious cakes (and other sweet treats) you can't do much better than Pix Patisserie or Ken's Artisan Bakery. Their creations are not only beautiful, but they taste even better than they look!

Not sure if they deliver, but if you have a car they're a relatively quick drive from your hotel.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday in Portland

Thing is about Voodoo Donuts is that the actual donut is not that good. I mean, it is adequate, but Krispy Kream has a much better product. In my opinion, Voodoo is on par with Safeway. So, bottom line, get a cake from one of the bakeries that OregonJohn suggested. Chuck.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday in Portland

I love the Embassy Suites, so good choice on that one. About food, they have a good restaurant in the building, but if you want something different, try calling Seres. They work with a great delivery service and offer the best organic chinese food in town. As for the cake. I'd ask the Concierage. Voodoo donuts is pretty much a hi carb/fat tourist trap. Have fun!

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday in Portland

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Absolutely will not be shy to take the little guy out, but with the late arrival on the birthday eve, he really will have to go straight to bed, hence the takeout! We've done the voodoo donut thing previously, so although i like the idea I probably will try one of the cake suggestions. Seres could be a winner since my wife is a big Chinese food lover, thanks again everyone for your insights.

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday in Portland

Baker and Spice doesn't typically deliver, but if you give them a lot of notice and it is a special circumstance they will deliver (a delivery order is a $25 minimum). http://www.bakerandspicebakery.com/cakes.

However, if it were me, I would e-mail the hotel and see if the kitchen has the ability to send up a small whole cake, rather than slices. I know that hotel does weddings and other events, and I'm sure their kitchen could handle a birthday cake without too much fuss. Just cake for two, instead of cake for 200, and could they possibly round up some candles.

P.S. What a thoughtful husband!

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday in Portland

More good suggestions, love it, thanks so much!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday in Portland

When we first moved to Portland, I had no pots and pans and dishes so we ate out all the time.

I love Thai food and Portland does it so well :)

In the Northwest neighborhood there are several .. were several, it has been a few years since I have had Thai food in Portland.

You can look at any website that talks about food/dining in the Pearl District and see what appeals to you.

We used to get Thai from a place near our hotel .. The Monaco.

this is a great listing of restaurants in the area

urbanspoon.com/n/…Pearl-District-restaurants

9. Re: Birthday in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15