Planning to make a trip down to Oregon to do the Columbia River Gorge + Mt Hood loop drive over Memorial Weekend. Will be my first trip.
At early stages of planning, and have a few questions
1) Is there a preferred direction of driving this CRG + MH loop? Should I follow the direction seen here (Portland -> MH -> CRG) …readersdigest.com/images/…MtHood.pdf or should I do the reverse (ie. Portland -> CRG -> MH). Usually I tend to do my road trips journey involving water body by driving along it (ie. on the lane closer to the water, e.g., SF to LA on PCH) so that i can be closer to the view, but for folks who know better, please share your thoughts with me?
2) What will be a good pit stop point in this CRG + MH loop route? I plan on leave Seattle at 2 pm Friday, so will be at Portland by 5-6 pm, so need to think of good stopping points on Fri + Sat + Sun nights
3) Just curious, why is it that when folks speak abt making the CRG drive, it's always about the Oregon side? I presume there's something to see on the Washington site (Route 14) as well, no? If I want to do the CRG on both OR and WA sides + Mt Hood + Portland Rose Garden. Will I need at least 5 days - including some basic hikes, which i love to do?
4) Is it possible to do the Oneonta Gorge/Falls hike at late May? from pictures I see online, it looks like the Zion NP Narrow's hike, where you need to walk up a creek/stream?
5) For Portland, I plan to visit the Rose Garden (since I missed seeing the blooms last time when I visited in April) only for this trip, since I have visited the city in the past. Will I be able to see a garden filled with Rose blooming everything by end of May?
Thank you in advance for your help!