We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission, Kansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

Hello,

I am planning a surprise birthday trip for my husband to Portland. I choose Portland because he his a beer lover! Do you have any recommended brewery tours in which my husband can tour the brewery, see the process of brewing beer, talk to a brew master, and finish with a nice tasting at the end? We are from Kansas City and he raves about the Boulevard Brewery tour...I am looking to top that with a truly Portland brewery experience! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Pam

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

I wish I could help you but as a Portlander, I have only drank at countless breweries and during special events, toured them.

What time of the year are you planning to be here? Maybe hit one of the beer festivals in July! Organic Beer Festival, International Beer Festival and the Oregon Brew Festival are all in July. Google for exact dates because I am too jet lagged right now to do that for you after spending the last 3 weeks drinking bad beer in the Caribbean! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

Pamandbrian2012:

Brewery "tours" are few and far between in Portland, mostly because the vast majority of breweries here are small and don't have organized tours of their facilities. A couple exceptions are Widmer Brothers, which has a decent hour+ long tour on weekends, but doesn't really show the brewing process (it's held after hours) and has a paid employee/guide - not a brewer - leading. I have heard the Bridgeport Brewing tour is about the same. Breakside gives tours on Saturdays at their Milwaukie production location but that's about all I can think of that do "tours"

A better option might be an organized group tour, like the Brewvana bus or the Pubs of Portland Private Tours. Both will include multiple stops, tastings and chats with a brewer or head employee.

Otherwise, just organize your own pub crawl and chat up the staff wherever you go. Likely on weekdays a brewer will be around during the day and often they are glad to show you around/chat/share a beer from my experience.

Cheers,

Brian

Just to elaborate on what PDXWJ wrote re: summer beer festivals:

North American Organic Beer Festival ~ June 26 - 29 http://www.naobf.org/

Oregon Brewers Festival ~ July 23 - 27 http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Portland International Beerfest ~ August 8 - 10 http://www.portland-beerfest.com/

Edited: 08 May 2014, 16:37
Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

If you have time to explore beyond Portland during your visit, hope you can visit Bend. Deschutes Brewery has a terrific tour that wraps up in the tasting room.

Cheers!

London
Level Contributor
918 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

Pubs of Portland is the tour we did. The man is called Marc. Very nice and knowledgable. Well worth it.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

do the Brewvana tours - they are very informational, they feed you, give you water, and even better shuttle you around! This is the best way to sample some of Portland's finest beers :)

6. Re: Microbrewery tours in Portalnd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 05:16