We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
876 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Topic
Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

Hello, I can't wait to return to Portland for the first time in over 30 yrs. I want to experience what is most like Brooklyn. That means, I am not really a person for gorges, scenery, mountains, etc. We won't have a car. We love to walk. What are fun things to see/do in addition to bookstores, the Saturday market, the food carts? What is a good hotel type place to book to be in the midst of most such attractions? With thanks in advance

new york
Level Contributor
876 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

What would any of you advise about

Hotel Vintage Plaza

Paramount

Mark Spenser

Lucia

amd I on the right track?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

those are all great hotels. You will want to explore The Pearl and also neighborhoods around the following streets:

Hawthorne, Division, Mississippi and Alberta. Portland has changed dramatically in the last 30 years and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

Of those I've only stayed at Mark Spencer. Great location. Small-ish rooms. Very dog friendly. I'd stay there again.

All of the above are great neighborhoods. I also like the alphabet district (aka "Northeast") for dining and browsing shops.

If you like sports at all, go to a Timbers game. If you are up for a rowdy couple of hours, standing in the Army section is an experience.

OREGON
Level Contributor
17 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

Hotel Vintage Plaza is very nice and in the heart of Downtown. The bottom floor is an excellent restaurant called Pazzo's that we often take out of town guests to. We ask for the table that allows you to watch the chefs.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

What is your lodging budget? Do you like Historic Hotels? If so, check out The Heathman. If you're an old movie buff, the Hotel Deluxe is very cool. Both are located right in downtown Portland. :)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

The Paramount is our go-to hotel when we want an overnight in Portland. The location can't be beat -- right in the me midst of great shopping and dining selections (Ringside Fish House is across the street, Higgins and the Heathman Hotel's excellent restaurant and bar are within a couple blocks....), Portland Art Museum and top theater/entertainment venues similarly close.

The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable and the prices are very reasonable -- especially with their frequent specials (check website) which may include parking for $1, dining credits or other big discounts.

new york
Level Contributor
876 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

So grateful

8. Re: Powells, Food Carts, Farmer Market Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:16