We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

We are a mid-late 30's couple planning a 15th anniversary pacific northwest tour (without kids) for next summer. The current plan is 2 nights Seattle, 2 nights Portland, 2 nights on the Oregon Coast, and then 2 nights in Oregon wine country before flying back to Ohio. While we have a full year to book, some of our hotels in the other areas book up a year in advance, which is what brings us to thinking about where to stay while in Portland.

In Seattle, we are staying right at the Pike's Place market (inn on market), and are looking for a centrally located 4* or better hotel for our two nights in Portland. Our stays on the coast and wine country (Whale Cove Inn, Allison Inn) will also be in very nice hotels. There is a good chance that if there are bands playing that we will want to visit clubs during our stay. Currently, Kimpton and Monaco are looking good, with a lean toward Monaco (since we will have a water view in Seattle). Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

Monaco is great. The Nines is gorgeous and very centrally located but the rooms are slightly small.

I think you will love the Allison! We stayed there when it first opened and loved it. Great restaurant there, too!

Level Contributor
34,991 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

The Nines Club Level! :).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

We stayed at the Monaco when we visited Portland, years ago... we stayed at the Monaco when we moved to Portland, we stayed at the Monaco when we left Portland :)

With our dog !

Any Kimpton Hotel is wonderful, imo.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

So I noticed that "The Nines" gets a lot of nods on this board, but is rated something like #11 on Tripadvisor. What are your thoughts on the disconnect as to why Monaco #2 and Nines #11? Any thoughts on the Sentinel?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
93 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

Also, I realize this isn't the busiest board, but any thoughts on the itinerary? We are wondering if it would be better to go straight from Seattle to Depoe Bay with a stop along Cannon Beach (on a Sunday), THEN wine country, wrapping up the trip in Portland. Will the trip from Seattle to Depoe bay be too much if we want to stop for a Cannon Beach detour?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

It is entirely doable:) I would suggest leaving early in the morning though so you have time to stop and enjoy places enroute. From Seattle, I would head south on I-5 and cut over at Longview and then head down along the coast from there. That routes takes about 6 hours, without stops, and is pretty enjoyable, IME. Like I said, if you get an early start then even with a fair amount of drive time, you can still make plenty of stops and enjoy yourself and not fell rushed.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

TA's rating system is so convoluted as to be almost meaningless, in my opinion. More than quality, I think ratings reflect a measure of expectations vs. actual experience. In the case of The Nines, it gets a lot of hype that it perhaps can't/doesn't deliver on.

The Sentinel is in one of my favorite buildings in Portland. I haven't been in to see it since it reopened as the Sentinel, and I've never stayed in a Provenance Hotel, but since there's no clear cut best choice here, I'd certainly consider it. Like the location too, on the streetcar line just a few blocks from the Pearl District.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 17:09
USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

The rankings can be helpful. If I were living someone else and traveling to Portland and money was not an issue, the hotel rated number 1 on TA (Riverplace) would absolutely be my top choice. But that's based on where I put and visit guests, not because I've stayed myself, and the actual guest might see different things than I do. Guests would notice all sorts of little things that others couldn't.

With the Nines, there may also be some gamesmanship in the ratings. That hotel really peeved some other hoteliers when it first opened in 2008. It was supposed the first to break the $250 price ceiling downtown .... and it received tax credits and low interest loans for construction, because it helped preserve the old Meier and Frank building. But because it opened during a recession it immediately started offering bargain basement specials that made the other hotels pretty upset. And early this year, the Portland Development Commission had to eat $6.7 million in loans that owner Sage Development couldn't/wouldn't repay. oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2014/03/th…

Or it could be, now that it is charging full price, that it is attracting travelers with the very highest expectations, who do not expect to be let down in the slightest.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 18:31
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,884 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

Have you considered a visit/stay in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area?

Our rain forest with the beautiful views and waterfalls is east of town on I84. Check out Columbia Cliffs. Among other attractions, they have wonderful vineyard/wine area in and near Hood River.

Did you mean tonight?

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 15 June 2014, 19:19
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a centrally located hotel for 2 nights- June 15

Since you are coming next summer, you have plenty of time to secure lodging. You are smart though to start looking now and decide what you want, IMO.

Even with living here, we have stayed at the Monaco many times. We enjoy it very much and have nothing bad to say about it at all. I have stayed there for girls trips, with several other couples, and then quite a bit just DH and myself and even with each of those trips being very different, the Monaco has been wonderful.