We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Portland

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Portland

Hello. My wife and I are stopping in the portland area for 2 days/1 night At the end of August. Our first day we are renting a car and driving the gorge out to Hood River and then back. I am struggling with an intinerary for the second day. Any help would be appreciated.

Some facts about the trip: Staying at the hotel rose the night before and will be storing bags there for the day. We have a 650pm train to seattle. Would like to try food carts and vodoo donuts (typical tourists).

Beyond that we are pretty open. Was looking at taking the max to Washington park and then the shuttle to the Japanese garden and the rose test center. Also would probably stop in Powell for 30 min or so.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Portland

You definitely can fit all that in on the 2nd day, no worries.

BTW, the train is a nice way to travel to Seattle. Seats are not assigned until you check in, which is right as you start to board. Definitely ask for seats on the left side of the train as that will put you on the water side, and that has better views, IME.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Portland

Generator515,

Since you mention Voodoo, you may if you have time stop by Blue Star donuts. Its a couple blocks SW of Powells on Burnside. there is also a Chocolate shop, Cacao, a few shops away too. You have to try the "sipping chocolate" its like drinking melted chocolate. Of course if youre on a diet, all of this will ruin it.

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Portland

Was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with timing of my gorge drive.

We land at PDX around 930 and plan on renting a car and driving right to the gorge. We would like to see the normal sights (e.g. Woman's forum) but on top of that eat lunch in Hood river and then do the Multnomah-Wahkeena loop hike all the while making it back to downtown by 6PM.

Is this possible and if so would anyone have any ideas on the order I should go in?

Current thought is pickup scenic highway do some quick stops and then drive to lunch (1145-12ish). Finish lunch and start hike by 130. I read it takes about 3 hours so do that and then head back to town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Portland

I think your plan sounds a bit ambitious, if not exhausting....maybe not allowing for the full enjoyment of the experience. Also, the drive from Portland downtown (is that where you are staying?) to Hood River just via i-84 in normal traffic is a good hour. Heading back into Portland late afternoon and depending on the day it will be much slower than that with rush hour traffic on heavily used I-84 starting in earnest around 3:30 p.m. (albeit going eastbound is typically worse than westbound so you'd gain some advantage there). Still it sounds like an exercise in stress if even some little thing goes amiss,

Anyway, you might just want to think about a shorter hike....if a hike is one of the things you have your heart set on. You could take the Columbia River Scenic Highway heading out to the Gorge and stop up at Crown Point and Vista House before hitting Multnomah Falls. Rather than doing that three hour hike(!) here is a website with other options: gorgefriends.org/display.php… or just hike up part of the Mult Falls trail and then turn around and head on out to Hood River for lunch. Enjoy some of the sights of Hood River (watch kiteboarders and wind surfers on the river or visit a brewery or winery). You could also come back around the other side of Mt. Hood and make a stop at Timberline to see the great lodge there, taking Highway 26 back into Portland. Or head back on 84 with a stop at any of the alternate hike options to get in some exercise and scenery but without pushing all the limits of time and give yourself breathing room to get back to Portland.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Portland

Hi, I agree. A less strenuous hike would be good with your time limit.

A note, unless you check into your hotel and leave your luggage I would suggest you reverse your two days. A car full of luggage is a thief's dream. Don't start your trip that way.

I would suggest you see Portland first and then go to the Gorge.

If you can safely stow your things then I suggest you take exit 17 and go through Troutdale. Cross the concrete bridge and turn right. Stop at Shirley's Tippy Canoe for breakfast then go on up the Historic Columbia River Highway. It runs along the Sandy River and is very pretty.

At Multnomah Falls, take the walk to the Benson Bridge. It is a shorter hike and you will probably have already stopped at the other side when you came upon Wahkeena Falls. The Visitor Information Center at MF has brochures and maps and trained volunteers who can help you with the rest of your Gorge visit.

3+ miles later you will reach I-84 again. You could have a late lunch in Hood River.

Be patient, this time of year parking is difficult.

Best

MrsO

Edited: 09 July 2014, 03:15
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Portland

Yes, I agree with Mrs. O.....I forgot to mention that....don't keep valuables in your car, especially when hiking in the Gorge.

7. Re: One day in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:16