We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which roads to take?

Ottawa, Kansas
Level Contributor
113 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
which roads to take?

We will be driving to Astoria as a day trip and down to Cannon beach then back to our rental around the west end of Forest park. I see that we can take 30 all the way up to Astoria. I also see we could take 47. Is one way a prettier route? And I already have motion sickness issues so the less twisting the better. But if the 47 is prettier and if there is a place or town to stop in with a nice hike(short) that would help break it up so I feel better. Any places on 30 also to stop for a short hike or places that shouldn't be missed? It looks like we will take 26 back to our rental-any nice stops or things to see there? Not sure if this is the correct spot for posting this since I'm not asking about being on the coast or a specific city.

Ottawa, Kansas
Level Contributor
113 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which roads to take?

Also, when we go to Yachats for our 3 nights on the coast would it be better to take 6 over to 101 at Tillamook and head south or take 18 to 101 just north of Lincoln City. Travel time is about the same. Anything good to stop and see or short hike or walk with either option.

Ottawa, Kansas
Level Contributor
113 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which roads to take?

It also looks like we can take 99 to 34 thru Corvalis. Times are all about the same.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which roads to take?

Over the years, we've taken every possible route between the coast where we live, and Portland. They are all remarkably close in timing.

Hwy 34 is a lovely drive, with practically zero traffic and very enjoyable scenery. However, with your motion sickness issues I would have to say "no" for that route. There are dozens of 25-35 MPH curves plus you climb up Mary's Peak on a very steep and winding (although short) road that zig zags up the mountain.

To me, Hwy 6 is not bad, but it does have some sections that are winding and curvy. You also climb up over a ridge and have views down far below to the Wilson River. Very scenic, but I don't know if it would be comfortable for you.

Hwy 18 is fine :-) There is just one section that goes up a ridge and it's not bad at all.

Hwy 47 north of 26 to Vernonia and Clatskanie is quite winding and slow. Not sure you'd like it!

Hwy 30 is pleasant although you do not see the river much at all from it.

Ottawa, Kansas
Level Contributor
113 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which roads to take?

Thank you Half-brit for all the information, I really appreciate it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which roads to take?

You're welcome :-)

6. Re: which roads to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16