We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour layover

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alaska
Level Contributor
67 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour layover

My wife and I have about 4 hours free between flights. We get to Portland at 5:45 am. We would like to get out of the airport and grab breakfast. Where could we eat and how would we get there? We are not opposed to public transport. Any other suggestions to kill time that early in the morning?

Oregon
Level Contributor
720 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour layover

With *only* 4 hours, I would not leave the airport especially at that time of day. There are some pretty decent places to eat within PDX (Rose's Deli for one). By the time you'd get outside, eat, and get back, the lines at security could be l-o-n-g. For the most part, the majority of flights leave PDX in the early AM, so it's really busy then. They will close doors to flights about 20 - 30 min before take-off. There's usually live music in the airport, and all the terminals are connected, so you can wander between A, B, C and D. Check out www.portofportland.com for airport details.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour layover

Well, actually I think you could do one of Portland's favorite breakfast spots, the Tin Shed (Alberta Arts district). http://tinshedgardencafe.com/ It is only about 15 min by cab from the airport. It doesn't open until 7, but that would give you time to maybe get some coffee to go in the airport, freshen up, find ground transportation and take the cab to the restaurant. Perhaps you might want to arrange for the cab to come back for you 45 or 60 min later. You won't regret the breakfast....and hey, why not have a little adventure?! Plus, Alberta Arts is a "hot" neighborhood, so you can enjoy the sights along the way too. Make sure the cabbie takes you Columbia Blvd. to 33rd and turn right on Alberta down to Tin Shed on 14th and Alberta....that's the fastest way. Going back he can take either Killingsworth or Columbia to the airport. Good luck!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour layover

Does that mean your flight is scheduled to land at 5:45 and your departing flight is scheduled to depart at 9:45? Supposing your luggage is checked through to your final destination, the time it takes you to get through security will depend on the day of the week.

Although you very well could take a taxi to have breakfast, it again makes a difference as to what day of the week. If it is a weekend, all popular breakfast places may have a line, even at 7:00am. Portlanders love their breakfast places! And Tin Shed is a great suggestion but depends on your answers to the questions I posted.

The Portland Airport itself has great restaurants. One of my favorite to grab breakfast food is Capers Café. There is also a Powell's Bookstore (maybe two still but heard one was shutting down). Real Mother Goose is a shop with beautiful handmade items so if you decide to stay at the airport, you will get a small taste of Portland anyway. There are also kiosks where you can buy beer and wine as long as you are not taking another flight at your next destination.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour layover

Yes, windjammer is right, there will be a line at Tin Shed, but you should be able to be there early enough to queue up and get in. There's some risk of timing, of course, I think you could easily do it as suggested, if you don't have to recheck luggage and are efficient through security. Anyway, just an option. However I did think of another place that is even closer to the airport....it is older and doesn't look like much from the outside or the vicinity, but they do a good breakfast: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52024-d44… I am pretty sure there will not be a line as it is not a trendy place. Maybe this would be a better option between chancing it to Tin Shed or staying at the airport.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 04:58
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,469 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hour layover

The logistics of going to the Tin Shed for breakfast sound simple the way djfpdx explains them. However, what if your plan arrives just a few minutes late and it takes you a half-hour to disembark and find your way to a taxi. So, it's now maybe 6:30. Fifteen minutes to the restaurant (all systems go)...it's now 6:45. Another 45 minutes for breakfast and 15 minutes back to PDX (if the cab is right there waiting for you). It's now 7;45.

if we're talking a weekday morning, you could run into heavy traffic getting through security since people heading to the east coast need to catch early departures. So, let's say it takes you a half-hour from the curb and through security to your gate. It's now 8:15 and the plane boards at 8:30. Since we don't know where your headed we don't know if you'll want to pick up some food to go (maybe have the Tin Shed prepare a lunch for you?).

OK. So, it can be done. I'd be a nervous wreck by the time I got on the plane. But that's just me. I like to get to appointments early and to airports even earlier. I believe in Murphy's Law...if anything could go wrong it will! PDX is a great airport. A good place to relax and take it easy over a good meal, great coffee, poke around the shops and people watch. Why look for trouble?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hour layover

I agree oregonpoppa. Throw in an accident on the freeway and you may still be sitting there as you watch your plane take off :-(

I always think that inside PDX is quite pleasant.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hour layover

Just not quite enough time. The airport has several nice restaurants. I'd stay there unless I really didn't care if I missed my flight... Have fun!

8. Re: 4 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17