We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multnomah Falls Opening Time

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Multnomah Falls Opening Time

So I plan to visit Multnomah Falls on a Friday or Saturday within the next month. I am an early riser and I am curious as to how early I can go visit? Is it just the main lodge that closes and there is 24 hours access to the falls? Is the lot open and closed at certain times. I would prefer to get to the falls around 730am. Any help would be appreciated.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

I don't believe the path up to the Benson Bridge (generally the best viewing spot) or the parking lot is gated so basically you can go any time you want. Though the falls are not lit, where you probably can't see much at night until day break. The visitor center and gift shop and coffee stand have their opening hours, of course.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

Daybreak will be about 6:00 AM around the first of August :-)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

The real concern is, will the staff be there that early to turn on the falls. We ran into such a problem at Old Faithful in Yellowstone NP. :)

Seriously, though, operating hours are shown here: http://www.multnomahfallslodge.com/

You are wise to get there early; it gets crowded.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 14:24
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

So true, Voyaging., Just like some grocery stores, they turn off the falls from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.

:-D

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

If Oregon has a drought problem like California this year, they really would have turn off the falls and divert the water to farm lands. ;)

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

They *do* turn off Niagara Falls at night. ;). OT, but surprising (although it's more down than off, but still an odd concept).

Okay, so the on-topic question: if you can't get there early, do you just prowl for a parking spot later in the day?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

I've been there on weekends when prowling for a parking place is just what I've done. Fortunately, there's a lot of turnover in the bigger lot and a little patience pays off. Parking on the historic road between the highway lot and the falls is much more limited and traffic won't let you stand still and wait for someone to pull out. Earlier or later (the days are long in summer) makes the parking issue less of a hassle.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

ODOT just installed a gate on the east bound I-84 exit to multnomah falls to close the exit when the lot is full-to avoid traffic backing up on the freeway apparently(although I have never seen this). I saw it closed last saturday as I was driving by. However the west bound I-84 exit was open- not sure if that was luck or not.

portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/222070-82906-a…

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

OK, so I am not at my regular post.

This may be a dup post.

The Lodge is not a hotel, but whether or not it is open has no impact on the Falls. The lot on the Historic Highway is always open. The earlier you get there the better your chances of getting a space to park. I would drive through Troutdale (exit 17) and up the Scenic Byway along the Sandy River in order to take the best advantage of your drive.

Mr O was a rocket scientist, literally. When we first volunteered there he (and I stress here it just might take a NASA engineer) suggested we light up the Falls at night. One of the volunteers laughed and said they'd tried it but the *power station down the street had blown a fuse and it was never fixed.

I always think when people ask how we keep it so clean I should tell them, we close it for maintence and cleaning from 2-5 AM. LOL. ;)

Sunsets and sunrises are so beautiful!

Best

MrsO

Edited: 04 July 2014, 23:45
10. Re: Multnomah Falls Opening Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17