We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying West or South

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
685 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Staying West or South

Well I wanted to stay downtown for a weekend at the end of July, but prices are well over 300 / night. I'm not sure why that is but it's more than I am willing to pay. I know what it's like to stay at the airport - so what are these communities such as Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc. that show up as affordable on booking sites? Just suburban sprawl, or are they interesting options?

I will have to make a trade off I realize - so my question is, if you can't stay downtown are there any neighborhoods other than the airport that are worth considering?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying West or South

Beaverton and Hillsboro don't have much in the way of anything of interest to a tourist. I would do some research and still hold out hope for something downtown. Check airbnb and vrbo. Or close in on the east side of the river near the convention center. There may be a convention that weekend, which raises hotel prices significantly!

There is a great new Marriott Residence Inn in The Pearl District. You may want to call them directly and they could have decent rates since they haven't been open long. It is a beautiful hotel with really nice rooms!

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying West or South

yeah I have been to portland 4 times and I have never seen rates like this - do you know of anything going on the weekend of July 25th? (Oregon Brewfest - would that raise rates this high?)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying West or South

The brew fest definitely has an impact!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying West or South

I agree with what has already been said. If you will have a car, then you might consider Lake Oswego. It is definitely not the same as staying in downtown, but you can get from LO to downtown in about 15-20 minutes. Most of the hotels are clustered near the 217/I-5 interchange, but there is also one in downtown LO that would give you a neighborhood feel. If you will not have a car, I would not do this however.

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying West or South

yes we will have a car - the downtown LO sounds as a possibility.

It looked like Beaverton was closest so thats why I threw that out there. Though its a bit of a beercation, so public transport has to be in the mix I imagine.

I may just have to wait and priceline / hotwire it - as it stands now there seems nothing bookable - and worse case scenario is that I end up out at the airport or outer-burb anyway.

OREGON
Level Contributor
17 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying West or South

Beaverton is strip malls and Hillsboro is way out. Check out Holiday Inn Express locations in Portland...reasonable prices..clean..huge free breakfast!

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
685 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying West or South

Thanks - there was a cancellation at Park Lane Inn / Suites right there off Burnside - so we grabbed that.

Level Contributor
36,686 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying West or South

Enjoy your time in Portland... let us know your thoughts when you return. :).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying West or South

Glad you found something that will work:) Have a great trip!

10. Re: Staying West or South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:15