We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vancouver to ohsu commute time?

United States
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vancouver to ohsu commute time?

Hi all.

I am considering moving to Portland/Vancouver and accepting a job at ohsu. The early preference would be to live in Vancouver. However, I am very unfamiliar with the area but am reading horror stories about the commute. I realize time of day will impact the time dramatically as well as what part of Vancouver I would be living. I'd prefer travelling in to Portland around 6:30 or so and coming back to Vancouver at 3:30-4:00.

Does anybody make a commute from Vancouver to OHSU?

Is 6:30 a.m. any easier than say 7:30?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

With respect, why would you want to live in Vancouver, other than to evade Oregon taxes?

Yes, the commute is a nightmare, as well it should be. If I had my way we'd tax or toll every Washington license plate coming over either bridge, and subject the occupants to a cavity search.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,251 Reviews
Portland, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

>>am reading horror stories about the commute.<<

Yep, the horror stories are true. It's the worst from about 6 AM to 9 AM and then from about 3 PM to 6 PM, give or take a bit.

Just check any of the Portland TV stations online to see the traffic reports.

-

While you're at it, gnetwerker, how about charging all non-Oregon residents sales tax if they live in a neighbouring state?

;-)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

While I have not commuted on a regular basis to and from OHSU, I have been there for appointments as a patient primarily in the afternoon. I've driven to and from OHSU and the airport and I've also taken public transportation on many occassions some of them during the afternoon rush hour. There are ample public transportation options particularly from OSHU. I think that's probably easier than parking there and probably less expensive even to Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
4. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 00:59
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

This drive will likely send you over the edge in terms of sanity. If I were working at OHSU I would cough up the money to live as close to the job as my budget allows .

Battle Ground...
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

Washington residents who work in Portland ARE taxed...income tax. Clark County is the 8th highest tax-paying county in the State of Oregon in 2012 (see "Returns by County..." Excel spreadsheet at http://www.oregon.gov/dor/STATS/Pages/101-406-2014-toc.aspx)

The 6:30am inbound, 3:30/4pm outbound is better than 7:30am & 5pm.

I-5 North out of Portland slows down by 3pm. I-205 doesn't seem as bad that time of day. (And southbound out of Portland is a nightmare too.

You would want to be comfortable with all the route options for a flexible escape....for central & east Vancouver-out Ross Island Bridge or even Sellwood to 205, Sandy Blvd, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,251 Reviews
Portland, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Sellwood
Sellwood
86 Reviews
Portland, OR
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

Frankly, it might be penny wise and pound foolish to subject yourself to the horrible traffic and the added costs of driving and parking. I'd live in Portland or nearby cities and commute.

You can get reasonable apartment rentals on the north and east side of Portland. Local experts can help here.

Mentioned in this post
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

There are also Park and Ride options were you can park in a commuter lot and take public transit to OHSU. Light Rail doesn't go there but the bus does. If I were to work there, that's the option that I would take. The main road to OHSU is a very scenic but crowded road and has a lot of twists and turns.

9. Re: vancouver to ohsu commute time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16