We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery between Bend and Portland

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
244 posts
345 reviews
Save Topic
Winery between Bend and Portland

Hi All,

Next week I'll be travelling from Bend to Portland via Sisters. I was hoping to stop somewhere for lunch on the drive and thought a winery might be fun. Can anyone give me a suggestion that won't be too far out of the way with good wine and food?

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

Most Willamette Valley wineries are west of I-5, concentrated around and between the towns of Newberg, Dundee, McMinnville, and Carlton. I don't know of any notable wineries along the route you'll be driving, and certainly none that also offer food service. So I think your best is to, where hwy 22 and I-5 cross in Salem, head SOUTH 6 - 8 miles to Willamette Valley Vineyards. http://wvv.com/ Check the "pairings" tab in the "visit us" menu for wine and food pairings.

Level Contributor
35,233 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

We were at WVV a few days ago! This is a beautiful winery which has undergone many changes over the past year. Their tasting room is stunning with an indoor firepit, open kitchen and beautiful views of the surrounding area. They have added alot of space to their outdoor deck and there is even a small outdoor fireplace with comfy seating. We are wine club members there and love pairing our tastings with their delicous food. Plan on spending at least an hour here, we never want to leave once we get there. :)

Edited: 28 July 2014, 17:35
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
244 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

Thanks. I don't mind going a bit off course (within reason). Would it make more sense to do some wine tastings and then grab lunch elsewhere?

Is there anywhere along that drive (or near by) that might be good for a lunch? Or should I just keep on driving into Portland?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

There are MANY really good places to stop for lunch near the wineries:) Here are some of my personal favorites. In McMinnville we like Bistro Maison, Wildwood Cafe and Sage. Dayton has a couple good places as well. The Barlow Room, which is new, is very good. Plus Block House Cafe and the for really good Mexican food go to Lupita's. In Dundee our usual is Red Hills Market (fantastic wood fired sandwiches and pizzas, plus great deli stuff). Tina's is also very good, and backs up to RHM. In Newberg, I like Bonadventura Italian Deli and Jory. In Sherwood, just north of Newberg, we like Tree's.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

If you visit Willamette Valley Vineyards for winetasting, you'd do well to stop for lunch in Salem. If you enjoy sweets (especially extraordinary cake), Gerry Frank's Konditorei (on Commercial St) offers very nice sandwiches and salads plus the most amazing selection of chocolate cakes on the planet. Their white champagne cake and other varieties are equally good.

Bentley's Grill at the Phoenix Grand Hotel (on Liberty St) downtown is another excellent choice. A varied menu that does pub grub especially well.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 01:29
Level Contributor
35,233 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

Dundee Bistro is a very nice place for a meal in the wine country. Casual ambiance with excellent food and service. You can wine taste at the Ponzi tasting room next door after your meal. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

The 12 - 16 mile round-trip detour you'd take to Willamette Valley Vineyards is the shortest of any winery that I'd feel comfortable recommending. So if that's too much of a detour, I'd suggest you drive on into Portland for lunch, where you'll have many more and better options than anywhere along the route from Bend. The wineries and restaurants others are recommending are all great, but any of those would be more of a detour than Willamette Valley Vineyards.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
244 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

I had thought about perhaps driving to Dundee and stopping at a winery or 2 there, but that might be too far out of the way...

Is Willamette Valley Vineyards a place you would recommend?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
244 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

What about Domaine Serene, Domain Drouhin, and Archery Summit. Are they too far out of my way? Not worth the expensive tastings?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winery between Bend and Portland

DS, DD and AS are all close together just southwest of Dundee. The fastest route would probably be taking the Aurora-Donald exit on I-5 and going through Newberg and Dundee. I'd estimate an extra half-hour each way between I-5 and the wineries.

The pinot noirs at those 3 wineries are among Oregon's top-tier selections; in France they would be considered Grand Cru burgundy. Are they worth the cost? Is wine a major part of your life?