We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation while in Portland

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oahu
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation while in Portland

I've been periodically following alot of the helpful tips here over the past few months, now I'd love your input on this topic.

I'll be in Portland from 3-10 Oct, some business, some pleasure, so didn't plan on a rental car except for a visit to the coast and wine regions, maybe Mt Hood. I'll be exploring in the rental during the middle of my stay, so decided against the airport rentals, since it'll probably be easier/less expensive to rent one in town, right?

I'm normally not a public transportation kind of person, but looking forward to taking advantage of the ease of accessibility in this city. I'll be staying at the downtown waterfront Marriott.

I plan on venturing out alot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation while in Portland

Portland is incredibly walkable and if you're staying downtown, you'll be located in Fareless Square (free public transportation - buses & MAX).

What sorts of things are you interested in seeing? Any particular things you enjoy doing when visiting a new city?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation while in Portland

I love your screen name and can only imagine how you got it lol...

We have a very nice car that sits and gathers dust in a garage here in Portland..we have to remember to take it out once in a while and give it a run..you never need a car in town.

Yes, it is easy to rent in town.

You can get the hotel to do it for you, we did when we stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites, the car was brought to us and they came to pick it up when we were finished. Rentals are not expensive, I remember ours being $35 a day. But parking in the hotel is $25 a day..there are Smart Park lots all over town, you can use one of those.

The Portland Streetcar does a big loop through town so you can hop on and off anywhere to save walking, a large portion of town is in the Fareless Square part, you don't have to buy a ticket. You can buy your tickets on the streetcars easily and they are good for 2 hours in case you get on and off.

Here is the Streetcar site, along with the map and schedules.

We walk everywhere. I must walk 40 blocks a day, as Sparkle says, it is a very walkable city and with all the cafes and shops , it is nice to walk here and there and take breaks then keep going.

The weather is generally friendly to walkers, even when it rains, it is a soft misty rain so you don't get totally soaked in any downpour. I actually quit using an umbrella lol...a sign of a Portlander , I am told :)

What else can we help you with? :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation while in Portland

Scarlett--You are becoming a REAL Oregonian:) Now send that umbrella to Goodwill;)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation while in Portland

Just to add to what's been said, if you don't mind walking 6-7 short blocks, public transportation can also save you a few bucks in getting from PDX to town. Check out the schedule and route for MAX at the website to which Scarlett referred: http://www.trimet.org/streetcar/index.htm. MAX will also get you to the zoo if you're interested.

You didn't mention the Columbia River Gorge, which is usually in the top two of Portland visitor day trips. But then, if you've seen Waimea Canyon, I might be tempted to pass on the gorge too. ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation while in Portland

otp:

What are your interests? Portland is definitely very walkable and has an excellent transportation system. Makes sense to take MAX in from the airport and rent a car as needed when in downtown.

Early October is a great time for a visit; it's more likely it will be nice weather than rainy.Temps probably in low 70's-upper 60's for highs.

B

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation while in Portland

In downtown, no need for a car. I find it to be a pain when I use mine. Finding parking spaces, paying for it, finding parking buildings, paying for it. Skip the car in the city and walk or use public transport. Heading out of Portland or visiting the Eastside a car will be useful. Call your hotel for their rental car service to avoid traipsing all over to pick up a car. Have a wonderful visit. It is a beautiful city with incredible countryside to visit.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation while in Portland

LOL yes, Mtngrl, I will throw away the umbrella.

mistletoe, thank you, I forgot to post the website :)

KCMO
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation while in Portland

I'm also planning a trip to Portland around the same time. Kansas is as west as I've ever been, unfortunately. I am a newlywed and we have always wanted to visit Portland for some reason or another. We're interested in seeing the nature side of Oregon as well as the "heart" of Portland. We'll have 6 days there so we'd like to get in some wine, mountains, rivers, and a lot of local flavor.

Our budget is not as flexible. We can't afford Hiltons or Marriotts, but would like to stay in something affordable yet safe to come back to late at night. I'm a little scared planning this trip b/c I've never really planned a trip on my own like this to do sightseeing or what not b/c I've usually had friends or connections in the places I've visited, so ANY information/feedback would help. I've been reading a lot of info from forums for the past week. It's been really helpful. Thanks for everything!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation while in Portland

Hi to kittypryde, not to worry, you've come to the right place for lots of friendly, helpful advice! I see this is your first post, so would just suggest that you start another thread for your trip and send some specifics as to price range for lodging, when you are coming, how long you will have, what sorts of places and types of things you are interested in seeing & doing.

I'd also suggest to you and obeythepug both that you find time to get over to our beautiful coast.

And obeythepug, I just love your puggle pic:-) Why is it that most pug owners have two?

10. Re: Transportation while in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 14:22