We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland--3 days

Saint Louis...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Portland--3 days

I'm taking family to Portland this weekend (thurs-mon) and wondered how to maximize time in area. My highlights would be Mt. St. Helen's, Mt. Hood, Cannon Beach, and Evergreen Aviation Museum. My family is very active--love hiking and being outdoors! What other outdoor adventures would you recommmend? Is this too much on the plate for traveling the area??? First time in the area and I want it all!!! Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland--3 days

DAY 1: I would take a full day to drive highway 84 into the Columbia River Gorge. There are hundreds and hundreds of amazing hikes in the gorge. I'd recommend hiking the Eagle Creek trail first thing in the morning. It's only a couple miles to Punchbowl Falls, or you can hike further in. After that continue East and stop to view Multnomah Falls (optional hike here too, but crowded). Grab some sandwiches to-go in Hood River and eat them on the waterfront park where you can watch the windsurfers. From there take the "Fruit Loop" around Mt. Hood and back to Portland.

DAY 2: Take highway 26 west to the coast. Stop at Ecola state park for some of the best hiking. Take the trail that leads down to Indian Beach. Afterwards, hang out at Cannon Beach for the afternoon. Note: always take a sweatshirt to the beach in Oregon!

DAY 3: Enjoy Portland! Visit the International Rose Test Garden and Japanese Garden (located within walking distance of eachother). Browse the vintage stores and vegan cafes on SE Hawthorne St. Eat at the food carts. Grab some micro-brews! Or rent bikes and bike from downtown to the Springwater Cooridor trail. If you want to hike even more, Forest Park is a secluded oasis on the edge of the city!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland--3 days

Mt. Hood plus the Gorge from Portland is an all-day drive, with opportunities for short hikes, but not enough time for any long ones. Note that Mt. Hood Ski Bowl has summer adventure stuff (ziplines, downhill mountain biking, summer "luge", and many other things) across from Government Camp. There are of course great short adventure hikes all around Hood and the Gorge.

Mt. St. Helens is a long day (from Portland), with a great deal of driving. It is best advised when the weather is clear, as the view from Johnstone Ridge is quite spectacular.

The Evergreen Museum (leaving out the water park) is a 1/2-ish sort of thing, and can be combined with a trip to the coast as either a long day or overnight.

It is unlikely that you can realistically do (or would want to do) all three of these in a three-day visit. You've also left off visiting Portland itself, any river sports (rafting, kayaking), the Columbia River Gorge, Multnomah Falls and nearby, and many sights in between.

Things are big out here, and everything is a drive, so do some work with Google Maps to get an idea of the driving times and distances when planning your trip. Remember to add in time for stops and to smell the proverbial roses.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland--3 days

It's also unlikely that you'll find lodging for one night in Cannon Beach. Try looking at Seaside or Astoria if you want to spend the night. I think with all you want to see in your short trip, you're going to be doing a lot more sightseeing through the windshield rather than hiking and being outdoors :-(

Saint Louis...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland--3 days

Thank you ALL for the insight! Never been in the area and wanted some great info from the city.

Level Contributor
36,378 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland--3 days

If you like to zip line, there is one in Warrenton. A new hotel has opened here in Seaside called The River Inn you may want to check out. Have fun! :).

6. Re: Portland--3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:17