We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Happenings?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Labor Happenings?

I did a google search on labor day in portland. An article pulled up from a few years ago advertising a public event at Oaks Park. It seemed to be a big fair/festival (food, rides, etc)

Is this still happening? And would you recommend to a first time visitor looking for some thing to do on the holiday?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Happenings?

Hmmm...... Oaks Park is the closest thing in Portland to an amusement park, but to me, it's almost an embarrassment. It's more like a traveling carnival really. Great fun for kids up to early teens, but not something I'd recommend to ANY Portland visitor, 1st time or 100th time. What are your other options?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Happenings?

www.pova.com

There are concerts at Waterfront Park, Pearl is having 3 days of Sidewalk Sales..tons of things happening.

Weather will be good too :O)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Happenings?

There is a huge event at Oaks Park on Labor Day. I don't know if it's officially public or not though. It's the "Labor" Labor Day picnic -- all the unions get together there, BBQ, etc. It's huge. All the politicians go, schmooze, etc and the candidates running get up on stage to announce.

Unless you are a big union person, belong to one (or family member), a politician or have some other reason for going, I don't know that it would necessarily be your thing.

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Happenings?

yes, i think i will pass on the oaks park event. thanks for the heads up. The Art in the Pearl event seems more my cup of tea. I'm not sure what else I will do. I just have this megalist of 30 things to see and do in 3 days. Maybe I will post that on the forum if people don't mind take a look and give me their honest opinion--my main question of course, is...is it worth going to as a first time visitor?

stay tuned!

roadtravlr

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Happenings?

They are setting up the Art in the Pearl today, we watched the paintings being hung and the tents going up. There will be so much music! Irish, Japanese, reggae..should be great fun.

6. Re: Labor Happenings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 14:23