We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oregon travel thoughts

Which Rockaway Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Menomonie, Wisconsin
7 posts
Save Topic
oregon travel thoughts

I am planning a trip to the oregon coast and the gorge for this June. Can someone tell me if this is a good plan or too much driving.

Day 1

Fly into portland in the morning stay in Astoria that night.

Day 2

Travel down the coast and stay in Lincoln City

Day 3

Drive to Mt Hood and stay somewhere nearby

Day 4

Sight-see Mt Hood and the Gorge. Stay somewhere on the west end of the gorge.

Day 5

Fly out of Portland late morning.

We will not be hiking to any far destinations but would like to see the typical sights and not feel rushed. We would also like to visit a distillery somewhere along the way if anyone has recommendations for that or any other "Can't Miss" places!

14 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: oregon travel thoughts

That is a lot of driving. I would suggest taking US 30 to Astoria for a more scenic route. You will want to stay at least a day there. You could also visit Ilwaco, Washingon which is right across the bridge, we like the wharf side market there. You could drive to Cannon Beach, and go to Ecola State Park and Haystack Rock. Also, stop in Tillamook and visit the cheese factory. I think you would get a good taste of the Oregon coast without having to drive the distance to Lincoln City. There are so many great restaurants. Check out all the reviews.

There is a drive called the Fruit loop through Hood River and the gorge. Multnomah Falls is a must see. I hope you enjoy your visit to Oregon, wish you had more than five days!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oregon travel thoughts

It would be too much driving for me but I like to "slow travel" with plenty of down time and not changing hotels every night. Many people use Portland as a base and do day trips. Perhaps that is something to consider?

Or maybe stay in Astoria for 2 nights. Then you could explore Astoria on the first full day, stay the second night and then travel down to Cannon Beach and back towards Portland.

I also don't recommend staying at the west end of The Gorge. That would be Troutdale and it isn't a tourist destination. Since you want to visit a distillery, you may want to stay in Portland and visit one of my favorite local distilleries - http://www.eastsidedistilling.com/. The next day you could drive through The Gorge on the scenic highway and they do the fruit loop and drive around Mt Hood and be back in Portland in the evening.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oregon travel thoughts

I agree with PDXWindJammer, except that I'd pick Cannon Beach over Astoria for the two nights at the coast. Astoria is interesting for its history, but it's 5 - 6 miles inland on the Columbia River, and doesn't really afford a coastal experience. You might return to Portland via hwy 6 from Tillamook, but the best of the north coast's scenery is between Cannon Beach and Manzanita, so I'd also agree with Danarema that you needn't drive as far south as Lincoln City.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oregon travel thoughts

618Lacey, I'm also thinking your coastal nights might be better spent in one spot. Lincoln City is not the best example of a coastal town as it's honestly very short on charm and is a rather long ragged string of a town that is always congested in summer. The highway south to there goes inland, which is pleasant enough with farms and rivers but not coastal. You could take Three Capes road but there are few ocean vistas along it. You'd see more ocean and bay scenery by driving between Cannon Beach and Tillamook.

Cannon Beach is very busy most of the year since it's so close to millions of people in the Portland metro area. It's a very attractive place, though. Lodging prices tend to be higher there. Manzanita is another option, or maybe Arch Cape. I like Astoria but it's a river town, not ocean "beachy".

What is your lodging budget and preferred type?

Weekends are always busier at the coast. Depending upon your days, you might reverse your trip to do the Gorge loop on a weekend. Still busy, but there's more room out there for folks to spread out ;-)

Where you stay to see the Gorge depends upon your likes/dislikes. We always pick a smaller town over a big city!

Hi Danarema and welcome to TripAdvisor :-)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oregon travel thoughts

Welcome, 618Lucy,

Troutdale is the "mouth" or beginning of the CRGNSA. It is perfectly natural to stay there or Hood River. Lots of opportunities to play in waterfalls and creeks and rivers. The old Historic Highway (the way people went into the Gorge before the freeway was built) is here. Lots of history, the Sandy River, much of it starts here in Troutdale. Nice historic downtown.

There are some nice lodging options under VRBO in Hood River that the kids may like, or Troutdale is close enough to not need a freeway when returning to the airport after your trip. They will love the Bonneville Dam (free), the Fruit Loop in Hood River and watching the kite-boarders and SUP in the river.

There are really inexpensive cabins for rent in Mount Hood and that area. June will be chilly but a hot tub at a cabin and a fire warms things up. There are some historic "Steiner" Cabins up there, if you need help just ask.

Best,

MrsO

Level Contributor
34,509 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oregon travel thoughts

Nice plan! The Hotel Elliott is a nice place to stay in Astoria. If you go to Ilwaco, the market is only on Sat. :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: oregon travel thoughts

"Nice plan!" No, it is not a nice plan, and 4 earlier posters said as much and why. 618Lacey, heed their detailed advice, plot the locations on Google Maps. I'd not rush your drive, there is much to view/experience. You are in for a lovely and interesting trip. And welcome to the forums.

I read your other post where more ideas were shared. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28958-i237-k69707…

Edited: 25 May 2014, 03:05
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oregon travel thoughts

On the east end of the Gorge but near Stonehenge and not far from our full size replica of famous Stonehenge is the city of The Dalles. Great birds of prey interpretive center show and hotels are less expensive. Less visitors mean darker nights and better views of the stars! (the Stonehenge replica is across the river in Goldendale WA.)--

or Troutdale is perfectly fine to stay in.

M

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oregon travel thoughts

I will be travelling down the Oregon Coast this summer as well. We will be driving down from the North. I appreciate any advice for my families 10days south of the border starting in Seattle. The final destination will be the Redwood forest in California or the redwoods by Medford. I am a beach comber at heart and would love to know the must sees and the best places to settle for two nights.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: oregon travel thoughts

Hi, Lisa. It would be a good idea for you to click on "Ask a question" below and repeat your information, since tagging on to someone else's conversational thread won't get you as many good responses as starting your own thread. While I'm here, however, I would like to point out that there are no redwoods around Medford. They're all on the northern California coast (thus, they are called the "coastal redwoods" to differentiate them from their mountainous cousins, the California Sequoias, which are quite another tree altogether).

Reply to: oregon travel thoughts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockaway Beach