We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to The redwoods

Which Rockaway Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to The redwoods

In August 2014 we will be spending 10 days between Seattle and the Redwoods in Northern CA. We will be traveling from Alberta with our teenage boys who also share my interest in beach combing and watching the sunset. I am interested in where to stop to spend an overnight or two vs driving through for with a quick stop. Which towns have interesting shops to visit and farmers markets? On the way home we want to go through Portland and the Columbia River Gorge. Any advise would be appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
OREGON
Level Contributor
17 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

You'll never forget the Redwoods and neither will your sons. Drive through the Avenue of The Giants and see trees that were around when dinosaurs roamed the planet.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

Well, let's not get carried away schoong324. The oldest living redwoods are in the 3,000 to 4,000 year range...not quite as old as bristle cone pines. The dinosaurs go back a lot further than that! Dinosaurs wandered around well before humans came on the scene.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

;-)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

Its all good. If you want to see where to Dinos roamed go to the Badlands in AB. I am really looking forward to seeing the Redwoods. I am sure it will take our breath away.

So far the plan is to head to Seattle for two days (Seattle is close for us so a return will be easy). Take in a Mariners game. Spend a night in Seaside, one in Newport and two at Gold Beach. This was all dictated by availability when I booked. We will make a day trip down into Northern California. Back up to Portland for a few days to take in the Columbia Gorge.

The sites along the way we plan to visit are the sand dunes, sea lion caves, oyster farm, jet boating at Gold Beach, the aquarium by Newport. Any other siggestions are welcomed.

Of course we will seek out the best bowl of chowder as well!

OREGON
Level Contributor
17 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

To restate my answer:

"There is evidence that coast Redwoods have existed as far back as 65 million years ago. This was the end of the Cretaceous period, the last time that dinosaurs, like Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptor roamed the earth."

Mendocino Redwood Company website

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

Lisa M, that sounds like a good plan :-)

During your day trip to the redwoods, definitely go south far enough to drive Newton Drury. Enderts Beach is a nice walk to a secluded beach - the footpath is the old wagon road.

-

Oh dear, let's not get into an argument about redwoods, for Pete's sake!

Whatever existed 65 million years ago are NOT the same trees you will be looking at in NW California. Some of the trees people can see today may be as old as 2,000 years. The average age is around 500 years old for the larger ones. Much of Redwood NP and surrounding areas have young second and third growth groves as well, some under 100 years old, but that are still pretty tall.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seattle to The redwoods

http://www.prehistoricgardens.com/

On the other hand, you can still find dinosaurs almost in the redwoods.

However old the redwoods are, I think I'm catching up with them.

Reply to: Seattle to The redwoods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockaway Beach