We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan,Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

We are going to spend some days in Oregon in August. I would like to know if Salem deserves to spend about a day (and a night) for the visit. Or maybe if close to Salem there are nice towns for lodging.

Thanks to all for the support.

Rob

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

No.

Rob, you did not reply to the many people who replied to your earlier post, so we don't know your route or your schedule. Do you want to suggest your itinerary? Then we might be able to help you better to suggest the best towns, and lodging, for you.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

Little Lisa could point out some worthy attractions. I think you'd enjoy Silver Falls which is near Salem.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

There are several interesting things to do in the general vicinity of Salem. As Chico pointed out, Silver Falls State Park is worth a visit if you're into hiking and waterfalls. Also Champoeg State Park near Woodburn if you like history (Champoeg is the birthplace of Oregon Government). The downtown Capital Mall is interesting as is the Town of Silverton,a beautiful historic town. The Oregon Gardens is close by as well.

As voyaging pointed out, it would be helpful to know your intinerary and interests.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

If you have lots of extra time to kill, and Salem happens to be a good stop for a night along your route, then possibly you might hit a few spots in town. But honestly, I was born and raised in Salem, and it is not a destination town by any means. Silver Falls just to the east is great, but otherwise I would give it a pass. You could drive through it though and head up 99W if wine country is on your agenda.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

If there are places of interest in Salem, for you, then it is worth a day trip, but I would stay in Portland. It is only a one hour drive.

Everyone has already mentioned some of the attractions in the Salem area.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

If you're coming with children, there's the A.C. Gilbert Discovery Village and the carousel by the river in Salem. There are also a few places of local historical interest, but as everyone else has said, Salem is not a tourist destination.

If you're coming from the south, you might find the university towns of Eugene and Corvallis more interesting and with more cultural attractions. Next to Corvallis is Albany (on I-5), which has a historic antique area. Coming from the north, Portland is your best bet. All have plenty of lodging and dining choices.

7. Re: Salem, OR. Does it worth to spend 1 day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Salem